Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Boats, Canoes and Kayaks

Old 05-21-2010, 09:43 AM

Default Wooden Boats

Had a question.

Been looking into buying a drift boat. Would like to buy a kit and build it. Curious what you guys think about wooden boats vs. the synthetics like a Clacka or Hyde.

I'm interested in the Freestone Classic kit, 15'. I currently have a 13' Aire raft without a fishing frame. It's a good boat, overkill out here. But there isn't much need to worry about beating that thing up. Wondering how you guys with boats have faired over time at lower generation on some of these rivers. Do you get pretty beat up? Would a wooden boat be a bad idea?

They're just really good looking boats.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:03 AM

I row a 16' mid side hyde. As far as how it rows, no complantes at all. very responsvie. Never been in a wooden boat. so I can't compare.

How ever, to answer you qustion about low water on the tail waters. speaking for the Clinch cause that's all I have floated or rowed. Everytime I go down it on low water there's always some of the boat that gets left on a rock somewhere. If not at peach orchard then coldwater farms area gets a little shakey. Dose it hurt the things, ewwww I duno other then a scratch on the bottom. So if you are affraid of scratching one then float it on one gen. and stick to wadeing on no flows.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:11 PM

Hammy, give Randy Ratliff of Troutfishers guide service a call. He built his own wooden drifter recently and it is beautiful. I believe he went from a raft to the wooden boat also. http://www.trout-fishers.net/index.shtml
Old 05-21-2010, 10:37 PM

Be patient and wait for a Madison Boat...
to choose, to respond, to change.”