Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-02-2010, 07:35 PM

Looks like you had a great trip. I wish I had stuck to my original plans and gone to Deep Creek, I changed my mind at the last minute and went to Pretty Hollow. I've got to get to Deep Creek soon.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:20 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight

These are all very interesting thoughts on the browns maybe the browns just liked that fly? I have a problem of not changing things up when I am catching fish. Back a few months ago while fishing Little River I caught 2 really large browns 13"+ on nymphs but of course the water was much higher maybe the big browns are easier to catch during high water and sit deep and still during lower water?

I am just curious Jim when you fish Deep Creek do you catch any of those so called bruisers? fish above 12" I have caught browns there in the 11" range and fat but that's the largest fish I have pulled from there. The hole right at the campsite at 58 held 3 decent fish which amazed me and several runs produced more than one fish. Even though these fish weren't line sliders they were very strong fish and put up one heck of a fight I think my next setup will be a 3-4WT no matter the case having a overcast day with no rain, no wind, no snakes, and 58 degree water was as close to perfect as it gets in my book.

One thing for sure Deep Creek is a huge favorite of mine amongst park streams and I have much luck every time I go there the last time Crockett and I were there we had a great weekend with many fish as well.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:11 PM

Spotlight--Deep Creek holds plenty of big browns ranging far in excess of 11-12 inches. You won't have many meaningful connections with them unless you are using a streamer, but rest assured about every big hole is home to a big brown. I know a local guy who fishes with a big Rapala using baitcasting gear (perfectly legal since he trims off all but one hook) and he lands several 20-inch plus fish every year.
The late Frank Young once caught 47 browns in single summer that ranged from the high teens well into the 20s in terms of length, and the vast majority of those came from Deep Creek.
One other thought--this time of year you are most likely to hang a big brown right at daylight.
Mind you, I don't catch all that many really big browns here, but each year will see me land a few which are well over a foot long (and hook others, usually to know the heartbreak of a broken tippet).
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 06-02-2010, 09:22 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight

I will have to get in some practice then with those streamers I still need much work learning to fish streamers and nymphs. I like the chapter in your book where is says it's got to be a pretty slow day before you would use one.