Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-06-2010, 09:50 PM

Default My Asheville, NC trip

Head up to Asheville , NC with my wife for her companys conference this past weekend. Stopped by the Orvis store in Sevierville, Tn to redeem a coupon ot of the Orvis catalog for a free dozen flies and picked up another dozen out of the cheap bin for bass/bream fishing.

Stopped by two more fly shops in Asheville before checking in to the Inn. Hunter Banks and Curtis Wright Outfitters. I found out the CWO was doing the guided trip for the conference, paid for by my wife's company. The guy there was the lead guide for the CWO company, 3 stores around the area, and went ahead and gave me my license and stamps so I could fish Friday.
Here is where we stayed . They were in the process of remodeling/renovating so I copied some pic's from their web site.

Met Jason Davis, from the Sipsey TU chapter and his brother (sorry I can't remember his name) at the Davidson River Fish Hatchery for a morning trip. The water closest to the hatchery isn't stocked :? This section is Native Trout Catch and Release Only but some of these fish are huge. We saw some monster trout rising but couldn't get them to ever look at what we where throwing
Here are some water shots
[

Ended up going to the Davidson River Outfitters and then ate lunch next door at Hawg Wild BBQ, not bad.
We headed back to the water where the skunk was still on me, so I headed back to the Inn to rest before the evenings events.
Saturday morning I headed up to Barnardville and Dillingham creek, the was alot of skinny water up there but the ol headache kicked in again and I headed back to Weaverville one of the other Curtis wright Outfitter store. The young man there was very helpful and gave me some great pointers for fishing the Davidson River. I also bought me a Regal knock-off vise fora travel set and a Ross 3wt reel.
Got back to the inn in time to grab my stuff and load up for the trip. I was assigned to fish with a couple that had never flyfished before and CWO guide David grossman

We ate a quick box lunch in the Davidson River Hatchery lot before heading upstream past the hatchery to some of the better holes. After getting the newbies started he got me in the water and gave me some instructions on fishing moving water.

with a double dropper nypmh rig.

It took awhile but I started to get the hang of it. I missed a nice one before catching one of my two personal best for the day No dout a true wild trout

I moved upstream where later I caught the other personal best Brown trout. I didn't take a picture of it but the guide took a couple and I'll have to wait untill they post it on their web site to download it . I did take a bad video of the release and you can sort of see it

I am already looking forward to my next trip.