Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-09-2010, 09:32 PM

Default Washout or grandslam?

I had made up my mind yesterday where I would spend Wednesday. Decided to head over to NC and fish the Kephart Prong.

Got a later start than I liked and almost decided to scrap the whole deal. When I left WBIR was showing rain well to the north of the park. When I got to Townsend the skies over toward NC were looking a little rough.

I hadn't got ten feet past the bridge and the thunder started. I turned around and sat out a 30 minute downpour in the truck. I was afraid that the rain had set in and was running through different game plans in my mind.

As I finished up my Subway the rain stopped and the sky sort of blued up. With the the recent monsoon still fresh on my mind I figured that Beech Flats Prong would be a little better due to it's proximity to an escape route.

Sorry about the quality of the pictures. I was not about to take the good camera out with a looming downpour.

The catching was slow going for a bit and then the rainbows started coming a respectable rate. Started with a yellow stimulator and green weenie. All the bows were close to the same size.

Got up a little ways and the stimulator peaked the interest of a couple of these guys...

Next cast, less than ten feet away and this guy shows up...

After the brookie the fishing suddenly died off? Tried changing flies but nothing seemed to be working. I figured I should take the lack of action as a sign and headed back to the truck.

I got everything situated and started to pull out and the heavens opened up again. It poured all the way to the Alum Cave Trail parking lot.

I only caught about 15 or so with the majority being rainbows. Fished for about 3 hours and had a great time. Didn't see another sole on the stream and very happy to get the slam. Still can't believe that I picked up the a slam within a hundred yard stretch of stream.

I hope that the stimulus funds weren't used on this one:

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 06-09-2010, 10:23 PM

awesome grand slam! is that stream relatively close to any major landmarks? I am headed down on sunday to fish for 3 days and have never fished it but your fish and pictures have caught my interest.

Thanks!!

Brad
Old 06-10-2010, 08:56 AM

Elkins you always catch some good lookin' fish. That rainbow is especially pretty, & I really like the markings on that brown. Wish I could have joined you.

That piece of culvert is mind boggling. I hope it was just blown out from a nearby trail.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:11 AM

Nice trip and pics. I agree, the markings/coloration on that brown are a little different ... makes for a great picture.

Question...how do you fish the green weenie? Do you drop it off the stimulator or do you high stick it through runs? I've been reluctant to drop a nymph off a dry in the mountain streams because the drift windows are so small but maybe I need to change tactics.

Joel
Old 06-10-2010, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the compliments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCflyfisher2012 View Post
is that stream relatively close to any major landmarks?
That particular stream runs beside 441 for several miles on the NC side of the park.

Joel - drop the green weenie of the back of a dry and get ready. You need to change your thinking about dropping a nymph off a dry asap if you want to catch more fish.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 06-10-2010, 10:18 PM

I don't know why you drove over the hump, I tried to tell you there aren't any fish on the NC side. I think all those are stockers that swam up from Cherokee
Old 06-11-2010, 07:13 AM

Brad--Beech Flats Prong parallels Hwy. 441 for miles. There are either five or six pull-offs (I can't remember which but the details are in my book) along the road above Kephart Prong (Beech Flats begins where it and Kephart meet to form Luftee) where you can park and walk down to the stream with ease. When you have had enough, just pick an open area of woods, climb back out to 441, and walk back to your vehicle.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com