Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 06-10-2010, 02:30 PM

Default New To Site

Hi everyone.

I found this site a few weeks ago while researching for an upcoming GSMNP trip. I've found lots of good information so far.

I'm originally from the midwest and learned to fish for trout in the driftless area of NE Iowa. I lived in eastern NC for 8 years and am moving back to the Carolinas after a couple years in southern New England. I'm looking forward to getting back to the streams in western NC.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:16 PM

Jumperdoc--A hearty welcome, and from the perspective of a son of the Smokies, you have moved into paradis (and perhaps escaped purgatory if you were in urban Massachusetts). You'll find lots of interesting stuff, considerable knowledge, and a decided bent towards helpfulness.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 06-10-2010, 08:34 PM

Welcome aboard jumperdoc.

I had not heard of the driftless area until I heard it featured in a podcast a couple weeks ago. Very intriguing area indeed. I may try to venture up that way someday soon.

If you need any help with your trip feel free to shoot me an email. If you know of any good grouse hunting areas in southern New England be sure to email me.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 06-11-2010, 04:21 AM

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Jim- I was living in the Providence area of Rhode Island. I would say calling it purgatory would be very generous. Just received my copy of your Fly Fishing in the GSMNP, I'm enjoying the wealth of knowledge.

Grouseman- The driftless area is a relatively unknown gem worth some exploring if you've never been there. I may be biased as I have family in the area. Wisconsin has the bulk of the area streams and if you're looking for wild brookies that would be the place to go, but Iowa has been doing a lot of water quality projects and has quite a few streams producing wild browns in addition to the hatchery fish. Plus Iowa's season is open year round so anglers from surrounding states often extend their season by driving over. As for grouse in southern New England, the best advice I can give is either keep driving to the timber company land in northern New England or don't even bother. The dog pointed a total of 3 grouse over 2 seasons in Rhode Island. A combination of fire suppression, anti-logging, and lack of predator control has pretty much wiped out the grouse. The woodcock flight can provide a couple weeks of shooting, but other than that stocked pheasants are the only upland birds available (if you can beat the coyotes to them).
Old 06-11-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumperdoc View Post
The dog pointed a total of 3 grouse over 2 seasons in Rhode Island. A combination of fire suppression, anti-logging, and lack of predator control has pretty much wiped out the grouse. The woodcock flight can provide a couple weeks of shooting, but other than that stocked pheasants are the only upland birds available (if you can beat the coyotes to them).
I might just save my gas money... Hazel and I did better than that in E. TN last year. And there are no birds in E. TN.

What kind of dog are you running?

Old 06-11-2010, 05:47 PM

Default new to the forum

Welcome Jumperdoc! Lots of good info and fine discussion going around on this forum. It's an interesting read. Don't be shy and let's hear a lot from you!

My cousin and I hunted grouse back in the day when we were both younger. I had a short-haired pointer named Lady, he had a black lab named Zorro. We carried 16 gauge over-and-under shotguns all over the hills of east TN., even managed to kill a few birds. Still have the 16 gauge but dogs are all gone now.

GrouseMan77, is that Hazel in your header? Good looking dog!
Old 06-11-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old east tn boy View Post
GrouseMan77, is that Hazel in your header? Good looking dog!
Sorry to highjack your intro jumperdoc.

That is little Hazel, she is 17 months and spoiled rotten. For a very young dog she did very well last year.

This was the result of her second point in the grouse woods. I completely missed the first bird she pointed.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:07 AM

old east tn boy- Thanks for the welcome.

Grouseman- Rhode Island is definitely not an upland hunting destination. Maine, Vermont or New Hampshire might be worth the trip for you. Just make sure to have your guns locked up if you drive through Massachusetts. That's a good looking shorthair you have there. I prefer hunting behind versatile breeds, too. I like to spend my time hunting birds and not hunting for my dog. This is a lot easier to do with close working breeds. I hunt with a weimaraner. She's 4 now and has hunted wild birds in Iowa and NC and mostly stocked pheasants in RI. Despite my poor training skills she's turned out to be a pretty good hunting dog. I'd post some picks but my profile isn't enabled for attachments. Is this because I'm new?
Old 06-12-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumperdoc View Post
I'd post some picks but my profile isn't enabled for attachments. Is this because I'm new?
Perhaps. You might want go email Paula or call the shop and ask for her.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:24 PM

welcome to the board. I'm a newbie to and found this to be a great bunch of fishermen, I even got to met a couple at troutfest