Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 05-18-2010, 11:28 AM

I just pulled into Cody and am preparing to go up tomorrow. North forks angler's said 50% snowpack, Newton Lake was very low, if you know the area. Cold rainy this weekend but long range weather is WARM,60's and 70's in Cooke City. If your coming out, still come!! Just contact some flyshops and have alternatives available.
There are lots of alternatives, ex. the mountain lakes just East of Cooke City are full of Cutt's and Brookies for those afternoons, if they shut down some streams. (Just stay away from the Clark's Fork of the Yellowstone- it's full of hungry grizzlies and wolves (:>).
Old 06-02-2010, 03:21 AM

I was on Sylvan pass West of Cody Monday and lots of snow about 5 ft at Sylvan lake.

The latest snowpack shown in the following link.

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/gis/snow.html

This will have a basin filled map tat will show snlowpack by river drainage.

Yellowstone is 85 - 88% of normal. the rest of WY and MT is at or above 100%.

Yesterday I was in the headwaters of the big Horn and several ft of snow and more above 8000 ft.

t has been a wet and cool May. Runoff has just started. if it stays this was we should be ok.

KY, I will see you at Crazt Creek this summer.

I hope the heater works.

Stop at the Bearclaw Babery in Cooke city for really good cinimon rolls.

Butte Irish
Old 06-03-2010, 06:38 PM

Got nailed Wednesday night, heavy snow for few minutes, then wind and rain. Only amounted to 1 inch in the long run though. Clarks Fork is a rolling. I was up to Lilly Lake exploring the outflows. I caught 4 nice Grayling Thursday 12-14 inches in the dispersed camping. I went up to Island Lake and turned around temp dropping, but only saw a couple feet of snow there max(?). Folks, I've talked to say the snow fall is only in certain areas- especially around the front. I had to take my wife to Billings and cameback via Red Lodge. Didn't see hardly any snow but got stopped anyway at Rock Creek Visita. (Next time, I pay atention to the flashing lights(:>). We had Backcountry First aide, etc with fire crews they talked about being busy this summer(:<). The CF was fishable last week but I had several days of driving from Crazy Creek to Cody and back for training. When I just got my gear organized, the snow melt started. I'm hoping to hit Beartooth, Sheepherders and Hauser as the ice starts to leave. Next week , I hope.

Irish Butte, the coffee shop next to the C of C in Cooke has fantastic muffins. (:>)! and internet- at times!
Old 06-03-2010, 07:11 PM

KY,

So you are a campground host? How long have you been doing this and what responsibilities do you have? Do you have much free time for backcountry trips?

I have made 3 trips up into the Beartooths. I explored a lot of the area up around Felis and Crystal last summer. Stayed at Rachel one night which may have been the most peaceful place I've ever been.

BTW... Did you happen to take any photos of Island Lake while you were there? I'd like to see what it looks like this time of the year.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:39 PM

I walked into a hosting spot at hunter peak last August when the host had to leave. Took over for them till mid Sept. I don't have any Island Lakes pics as they are renovating the campground and the road was closed, and I didn't want to walk in. I've got some good ones of Beartooth Lake though.

Weekends are spent in camp, we keep the restroom clean, and do a meet and greet with campers making sure they follow Bear Food Regs. Usually 2 hours a day, one early and other around dark. Very flexible schedule but IT IS A JOB that comes first. Almost always no problem0 have two days off a week but only really use one of them.

Irish Butte- the CF is a rolling, afraid the snow may be going with the rain.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:06 PM

I'm heading to the Madison later this month staying/fishing at the Slide Inn. Just got an email from Kelly Galloup saying they had an abundance of late season snow and rain over the past month, and to expect high water.

Sounds like a good excuse to schedule a second trip later in the season.

Wayne
Old 06-13-2010, 07:45 PM

doghaircaddis- The lakes are still iced, Beartooth- just lower than Island Lake is starting to open around the edges and the outlet of Little Beartooth Creek. Snow has been very sporatic here. The Wind River and Bighorns has been having snow this week but in the Absarokas and Beartooths where we are at I've been waking to sunshine the last two morning and no snow even though its been forcasted. It doesn't seem like mid June up here(:>). I'm hoping to get into some lake fishing at "ice off" this week.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:30 PM

You're lucky to have a shot at those lakes during ice off. It was 100 degrees in Nashville yesterday, maybe that will help you appreciate the cool weather a little more. If you get some time, take a few photos to share with the rest of us. You're in an amazing place for sure.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:18 PM

Our internet coverage is extremely weak. I'll try to post pic's later. I fished the outflow of Beartooth Lake, Wednesday morning. There was about a 400yard diameter area of open water. I worked a bead head mohair leech and had several 14- 16 in cutts follow it but no takers. I didn't take temperature reading but my toes froze in 3 mm neoprenes. Left about noon as it just up to 80, then thunderstorms with hail and sleet moved in. Streams are now getting muddly with runoff.