Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 06-17-2010, 03:41 PM

WW, I went over to the Huffaker ferry access several years ago and there were a couple of guys hanging out by the ramp drinking, breaking glass bottles and possibly smoking dope. I decided not to stay and launch the canoe. It may be a better place now that they have improved the parking areas but I haven't been back in awhile. With so many people out of work in the area and nothing to do, picking off unattended vehicles seems to happen fairly often these days.
Its sad that you feel like you can't even go fishing anymore without having to worry about getting robbed or worse. Growing up, my dad and I would park along side the river, leave the windows down and never think twice about running into thugs. I do remember one farmer that would shoot at people walking the edge of his cornfield to acces the river shoal. This was an old ferry just down river from Huffaker ferry on the South Knox side. The boat ramp (formally Hodges Ferry) is now part of a subdivision and closed to the public.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:49 PM

That's a shame to have to take a gun fishing, but oh well it's not going to stop me. Thanks for all the help about the smallies guys. I'm heading out now. Let you know how it went in the morning. if i don't get robbed or murdered out there tonihgt
Old 06-17-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
WW, I went over to the Huffaker ferry access several years ago and there were a couple of guys hanging out by the ramp drinking, breaking glass bottles and possibly smoking dope. I decided not to stay and launch the canoe. It may be a better place now that they have improved the parking areas but I haven't been back in awhile. With so many people out of work in the area and nothing to do, picking off unattended vehicles seems to happen fairly often these days.
Its sad that you feel like you can't even go fishing anymore without having to worry about getting robbed or worse. Growing up, my dad and I would park along side the river, leave the windows down and never think twice about running into thugs. I do remember one farmer that would shoot at people walking the edge of his cornfield to acces the river shoal. This was an old ferry just down river from Huffaker ferry on the South Knox side. The boat ramp (formally Hodges Ferry) is now part of a subdivision and closed to the public.
It is sad, it is sad to know that the river I used to ride my bike to (Clinch) when I was 8 years old now has a bunch of freaks hanging around it, and that I have to carry there or anywhere else for that matter. I am like you and used to fish the Obed with my dad and we would leave the vehicle unlocked with no worries other maybe a thunderstorm rolling in and soaking the vehicle.

I guess that is how things go, and unfortunately I am wired that if screwed with by someone, would shoot them without hesitation. I would regret it after it was done, but am not going to give up my life for some piece of trash or crazy idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodonthefly View Post
That's a shame to have to take a gun fishing, but oh well it's not going to stop me. Thanks for all the help about the smallies guys. I'm heading out now. Let you know how it went in the morning. if i don't get robbed or murdered out there tonihgt
Hope you waxed them today
Old 06-18-2010, 07:07 AM

I seem to remember a trip with WW where our truck, gun and your wallet got stolen when we got back to the boat ramp. I really liked that truck too.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:08 AM

Man I am hooked, caught 7 smallies, one striper and two blue gills. had a few blow ups where i missed... and lost one really nice one. biggest was 16" or so.

Thanks Jim for all the advice. Let
Old 06-18-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodonthefly View Post
Man I am hooked, caught 7 smallies, one striper and two blue gills. had a few blow ups where i missed... and lost one really nice one. biggest was 16" or so.

Thanks Jim for all the advice. Let
I'ver never caught a striper in the little pigeon, a few white bass down by boyds creek bridge early spring but never a striper.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
I seem to remember a trip with WW where our truck, gun and your wallet got stolen when we got back to the boat ramp. I really liked that truck too.
I had forgotten about that nice day, show up and just your trailer sitting in the parking lot. How did we manage to get your boat out? I remember going and getting the Bronco from your Aunt, but don't remember how we got the boat out and home. Losing it in my old age.

Great news is that I think they found your truck (burned) near where I will be tomorrow. Hopefully someone will decide to steal my Chevy, with my luck they would bring it back though.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:19 AM

where in the sam **** is this place? I have a dodge they can have.