Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Boats, Canoes and Kayaks

Old 06-19-2010, 09:01 PM

Hey Madison,

You need to get off your rump and get to building a drift boat!!! You have been talking about it since last year!!! GET TO IT!! You know Madison Boats would be a great place to start a boat manufacturing business. Some of us around here have hard dollars to spend and want to spend them LOCAL. Don't make me get the work whip out!!!
Old 06-19-2010, 09:57 PM

Thumbs up new drift boat maker in east tn.

a new drift boat maker in east tennessee, mike watson in blountville tn. with help from richard childress racing team engneer. went on one of the maiden trips on the s.holston floated rock hole to bluff city on low water ,rows as good if not better than a new hyde, drafts about 4 in, water, loaded . check it out mikes ph #423-292-8102 be one of the first to own a great boat
Old 06-19-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBKSTONE2 View Post
Hey Madison,

You need to get off your rump and get to building a drift boat!!! You have been talking about it since last year!!! GET TO IT!! You know Madison Boats would be a great place to start a boat manufacturing business. Some of us around here have hard dollars to spend and want to spend them LOCAL. Don't make me get the work whip out!!!
I know bud! Unfortunately; I have been dealing with some other financial situations right now that are taking up most of boat capital money.... I will get it going! I have a killer design that would work great in the Eastern U.S. and I believe the innovations I have added will suit most fly fisherman. I have it and several other designs modeled out in CAD and I am ran them through many analysis programs for stressing, float profile, handling, etc.

I have the charter written for the model and I have a good friend that has volunteered to audit it for me. Also, I want the costs to be affordable to the average-everyday fly fisherman. Coming up with the ideas and designs are easy; but, paying for the patents gets expensive.

*One of the ideas I have been playing with is the use of 'chameleon gel-coat'; one that would change and adjust to the light and surroundings of each river, season, and thwart refraction. I believe it would be a warranty nightmare; but, something very interesting.....

**Forgot to mention that the complete boat will be an RTM Boat and insanely strong - Fiberglass; but, no worries about hitting shoals and rocks.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 06-19-2010 at 10:07 PM.. Reason: Addition
Old 06-19-2010, 11:01 PM

Allright here is my part one of two on my personal boat experiences and opinions. All of the below I have used enough times to feel comfortable voicing an opinion on.

Drift Boats:

Hyde High Side Combo: Just bought my second, first one lasted 10 years of 60+ trips a year, and was used when I bought it.
Pros-- Rows great (probably the best of the bunch), tracks well, holds well in heavy current, moves with ease in slower water, tough enough (could be a little tougher), front casting deck makes a great place to sit on and recline when things are slow.
Cons---Inside layout is fair, raised decks cause cooler issues with coolers being offset unless you search for the proper size to fit in the trenches, boat sits towards the front of the trailer so moving it around is a burden (heavy).

Hyde Low side Combo:

Pros: None IMO which make it the better choice over a High side
Cons- same as the high side with the added loss of the front deck recliner, and stupidly low sides which the most seaworthy person could pitch over.

Hyde Aluminum High Side:

Pros: Tough as nails, and solidly built.
Cons: Rows like crap, unresponsive and tracks like a wet mop.

Clacka High Side:

Pros: Tougher then Hydes, open level floor design, holds extremely well in fast current.
Cons: Flexi Floor, sluggish to row in flat water, silly leg brace in the back which is like a prison cell. Little if any storage that is dry.

Clacka Low Side:

Pros: Same as above
Cons: Same as above with the addition of being too low and easy to pitch out of.

Yellowstone Drifter 15':
Pros: Great small design which makes it very maneuverable in tight places, nice layout in the inside with open floors, light as a feather and draws little if any water.
Cons: Has a tendency to squat when 3 people are in it, not tough at all, weakest fiberglass boat out there.

Yellowstone 17'
Pros: Big arse boat with lots of room, rows great with 2 or 3 people, and the rest is the same as above.
Cons: Same as above.

Koffler Aluminum:

Pros: Tough as diamonds
Cons: Too many to list, in other words don't waste the coin on this one.

I will do rafts tomorrow, but my personal drift boat preference is Hyde, I like the way they row and now that I have the cooler thing worked out, the issues I had have passed. I could not live without the recliner front deck as well.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
Allright here is my part one of two on my personal boat experiences and opinions. All of the below I have used enough times to feel comfortable voicing an opinion on.
Excellent descriptive Jim and one that I took note of... I am sure this will help many other fellow fly fishermen in choosing a boat.

*One thing about my boats; they are not meant to be rowed! Sorry fellas! I design boats that are meant for one-man operation; not one-man capacity and for maximum fly fishing with less headache. I have several different electric motors to offer and the option of trolling motors. An 80# thrust with remote steering is my kind of boat. I would rather spend the time focusing on the fish than trying to work a boat and I think most fly fishermen would agree...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 06-20-2010, 10:49 PM

Part Two: Soft Boats (Rafts/Catarafts)

Maravia 17' with NRS fishing frame:

Pros: Big, indestructible, and fairly versatile.
Cons: Draws tons of water, pain in the butt to fish out of (constantly hung on something, typical of rafts), sticks to every rock it touches.

Avon 15' NRS fishing frame:

Pros: More maneuverable in low water, tough, and best size for 3 people
Cons: Same as above

Outcast PAC1200:
Pros: Most versatile boat on the market, draws the least of any boat I have seen (3"-4"), fits in a truck bed, can be carried easily by 2 people, ATV of the watercraft world.
Cons: Not the most comfortable boat to fish out of, rower sits low, not designed to cover distances rowing, only handles 2 people

Outcast PAC1600:
Pros: Big/Roomy, handles big mean whitewater with ease, tough, extremely stable
Cons: Sticks to every rock it touches, draws 6"-8" of water, must be trailered, lots to hang line on inside.

Star Bug (Hybrid Raft/Cat):
Pros: All the advantages of both in one
Cons: All the negatives of both in one

Bottom line on soft boats, they are not as easy to fish out of as hard boats, but are perfect for the nastier rivers around. They can take hit after hit with no damage. The cats are nice because they allow for splitting of rocks which would otherwise hang up a raft. They also let water across the decks which is nice to keep you cool during the summer. All rafts draw more water, and are harder to row then a drift boat. The frames on the market all leave a little to be desired, and most for the rafts are floorless, so floors have to be purchased separately.

If I was buying a soft boat tomorrow, it would be one or both of the Outcasts, they are by far more versatile then a full on raft IMO.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:23 PM

Great info there Wolf. Thanks a lot!

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>
Old 06-22-2010, 12:45 PM

Ok I have a question, not about types of boats but about drift boats. I row and don't use a motor.

As far as safty stuff what is required in a drift boat? i carry life jackets and have some small first aid stuff. But am I required to carry throw coshins, horns whistles and so on?
Old 06-22-2010, 01:57 PM

Rod - You know how I like to take a swim...would you mind gettin a throw cushin? haha

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>
Old 06-22-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson10 View Post
Rod - You know how I like to take a swim...would you mind gettin a throw cushin? haha

Yeah I was thinking about hitting a big lay down in the water fliping the boat and us both ending up a 61, not to mention I'm going to get one for each of my fly rods. lol

Mike boone said he rode a blow up matress down the river wonder if anyone has rode a throw cushin down?