Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 06-21-2010, 08:59 PM

Default Mahi Mahi on Fly Rod

Just got back from Marathon in the Middle Florida Keys. Did some fly fishing in a cove next to vaca cut that was by where i was staying. I managed to catch a few needlefish on a small white clouser minnow. Then i changed to a shrimp sly that was about 3" long. I threw by the mangroves and managed a few mangrove snapper on the fly. Then i waded near the docks where our boat was parked and manageda surprise catch, a small black grouper! Throughout the trip we trolled for dolphin. While running back in we found 3 logs that were in the same area. At first we threw jigs at the logs and found a very nice school of Mahi. Once we caught the first one we kept it hookedin the water swimming a few feet around the boat. ( this attractes the rest of the school) When we had the school aroundus we chunked cut pin fish out to keep the fish interested. Once they were happy,we threw our TFO 8 wt. at them with an anchovie fly. What was neat was that you didn't even have to cast! you could just pull out about 10 feet of fly line and flick it out into the school and jusstbump thefly in quick. What we noticed was that every few fish you had to switch flies. We threw that anchoviefly, different crease flies, and clousers that i use for smallmouth. They are a very easy fish to catch that fight hard and taste even better!
Old 06-22-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Warrior View Post
Just got back from Marathon in the Middle Florida Keys. Did some fly fishing in a cove next to vaca cut that was by where i was staying. I managed to catch a few needlefish on a small white clouser minnow. Then i changed to a shrimp sly that was about 3" long. I threw by the mangroves and managed a few mangrove snapper on the fly. Then i waded near the docks where our boat was parked and manageda surprise catch, a small black grouper! Throughout the trip we trolled for dolphin. While running back in we found 3 logs that were in the same area. At first we threw jigs at the logs and found a very nice school of Mahi. Once we caught the first one we kept it hookedin the water swimming a few feet around the boat. ( this attractes the rest of the school) When we had the school aroundus we chunked cut pin fish out to keep the fish interested. Once they were happy,we threw our TFO 8 wt. at them with an anchovie fly. What was neat was that you didn't even have to cast! you could just pull out about 10 feet of fly line and flick it out into the school and jusstbump thefly in quick. What we noticed was that every few fish you had to switch flies. We threw that anchoviefly, different crease flies, and clousers that i use for smallmouth. They are a very easy fish to catch that fight hard and taste even better!
Nice report, but where's the pics man!!!!! Sounds like you all had a blast.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodonthefly View Post
Nice report, but where's the pics man!!!!! Sounds like you all had a blast.
Sorry, i am new to the forum and really need to figure out how to put up pics! It definately was a great trip!