Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 07-01-2010, 09:31 AM

Default Stimulators

I'm probably not using the correct terminology, but what method does everyone use for securing the palmer wraps to the body of the fly?

I've seen several different ideas. Most seem to use a wire wrap going the opposite direction, some use another hackle going the opposite direction, I've read one tutorial that describes using 4 different hackles on the body, with each one securing the one before it (seems escessive), and Hugh Hartstell just uses a few wraps of thread to secure it down.

Any other ideas?
What seems to work best for you?
Old 07-01-2010, 10:41 AM

Granny-

I'm with Hugh H. on this one. I will usually use multiple wraps to form a "head", and then finish with several whip finish ties. Don't want it look like a "pinhead" on a thick body with hackles. IMHO

Bill
Old 07-01-2010, 12:46 PM

Post Palmering Techniques/Applications: Web-Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
I'm probably not using the correct terminology, but what method does everyone use for securing the palmer wraps to the body of the fly?
I my opinion; it depends on what effect you want the palmer wrap to represent...There are several different methods for tying different flies, etc...

See this attached link to help elaborate on techniques...
http://www.wmflyfishing.com/Palmering_new.pdf
Cite: Dennis Jones 2/07
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 07-01-2010, 03:37 PM

I don't think the method you use to re-enforce the hackle really matters, but I think you should. I know Randall Kaufmann (originator of the fly) uses wire. He ties the hackle in at the front of the rear section of the body and wraps the hackle backwards towards the hook bend. He ties the hackle off with wire, then wraps it back thru the hackle.

Look about mid page for the stimulator.
http://www.westernfishermanspress.co...es-photos.html

Last edited by flyman; 07-01-2010 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: 42
Old 07-01-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyman View Post
I don't think the method you use to re-enforce the hackle, but I think you should. I know Randall Kaufmann (originator of the fly) uses wire. He ties the hackle in at the front of the rear section of the body and wraps the hackle backwards towards the hook bend. He ties the hackle off with wire, then wraps it back thru the hackle.

Look about mid page for the stimulator.
http://www.westernfishermanspress.co...es-photos.html
The wire wrap thru the hackle is the method I use too. I was just wondering if anyone had a different method that they thought worked better.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:41 PM

I used to reinforce my body hackle with a wire, but as I've experimented more and more, I've stopped doing it. I now tie the body hackle in at the bend (about two sizes smaller than the hook size) and wrap forward and tie off with thread.

Knock on wood, I've never had to retire a stimi because the body hackle has unraveled. Plus, I tie a lot of stimis, so the amount of time I have saved on each fly would easily cover the amount of time required to retire a fly early and tie on a new one....

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 07-04-2010, 10:02 PM

I tried a couple of different methods this weekend and I think I've decided that I like tying 2 seperate hackles in. One at the rear of the body and one at the front. I wrap the front one back toward the bend, and tie it down by wrapping the rear hackle toward the front, palmering over the first one. I read on another site that having two hackles going opposite directions helps to keep the fly from twisting your tippet & leader in the air, but I'm not sure how much truth there is to that.

Detail of the 2 hackles.

Here is the finished product on this particular fly.
I know there is a bit too much hair on the tail and wing, & the head is a little big. I have been tying with a bunch of different materials and colors. We'll see tomorrow if it can catch a fish.