Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 07-06-2010, 01:57 PM

Default fluoro tippet verses fluoro line

I know I am going to sound cheap but I am going to ask it anyway.

I needed some 5x fluoro and I picked up some rio but on my way out of the fly section and passed by an end cap with fluoro fishing line on it. All of a sudden my accountant spiderman sense went off and I lurched to a stop.

Now most of you know what I was thinking. How can 5x 4lb test Rio fluoro be $15 for 27m and a premium brand of 100% fluoro fishing line be $10 for 250 yards?. if its the same lb test and its 100% fluoro then what is the difference?

I do understand the difference between mono and fluoro. For nymph fishing I am totally sold on the fluoro. I bought a pack of the flouro line just to take home and look under the 10x magnifying glass. I can't really see a difference as compared to the tippet material.

Maybe some of you guys can shed some light on this for me.

thanks,

DBK
Old 07-06-2010, 07:56 PM

Thanks for asking......was wondering this myself.

O.K. .......... we're waiting.............
Old 07-06-2010, 09:14 PM

I tried that, but the normal fishing line in the same weight wound up being significantly larger diameter for some reason. Plus I had to try to rig up a rubber band to keep the line on the spool.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:02 AM

When I fish the clinch during the winter, I sometimes make leaders out of flouro P-Line (floroclear fishing line) for throwing streamers. The main differences I have noticed are that I can tie a stronger knot with tippet, the abrasion resistance seems to be a little better with flouro tippet, and as tjw mentioned, the strength to diameter ratio is better with flouro tippet.

I'd rather use tapered leaders & flouro tippet, but I am poor, and my dad buys this stuff in 3,000yd spools.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:21 PM

A while ago, I compared specifications on several 6x Fluoro tippet products. The specified strength ranged from 3# to 3.6#. For a 4# test tippet, the difference in diameter is not more than 0.001".
The fish I've been catching aren't fast enough with their micrometers to tell the difference.
The prices vary more than the diameter and/or strength. I buy what is on sale when I need it. I don't use enough to buy a 300-yd spool.
I agree with you on one thing - fluoro for nymphs; mono for drys.