Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-11-2010, 11:52 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrinG View Post
We've spent some awesome times together in the woods and streams and it's times I'l never, ever forget.

Well said DarrinG. I can never get tired of the time outdoors fly-fishing and hiking with my kids AND NOW, grandkids!
Old 07-12-2010, 07:24 AM

Thanks fellas.
Jim, Yes, my sweet wife also fishes, although she just dont get the time to go very much. She's as busy a person as I've ever seen. We homeschool our children and she takes it VERY seriously. When she gets the time, we enjoy going out on the river occasionally.

My sweetheart:

I've got a family full of fisherladies, and I love every second of it. Most young girls talking to my daughters ask them the normal "girl" stuff and if they like dolls, etc, and they usually start telling them about catching smallies or specs or floating the river in our cataraft. Not "normal" girlie stuff! Some of the young boys seem a little intimidated by girls that know their stuff about fishing....but Dad is proud

One thing I've learned taking 3 youngsters into the backwoods is to slow down and take your time. Push them too hard and it becomes more of a chore to them that fun. let them set the pace, whether hiking in or on the stream. Stop and turn over rocks and investigate the beautiful world or Creator blessed us with. Kids will see things and notice stuff that most adults will look right over...and their enthusiam for wild things is simply amazing.
Mark 1:17
Old 07-12-2010, 03:13 PM

Well said and some great advice.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:53 PM

DarrinG--Kudos to the missus for home schooling. Sadly, and this comes from someone who taught for 28 years (although all but three of those years were as a university professor, not in the trenches of public schools), public schools in most parts of the country have gone to the dogs (or the politically correct, or left-wing nuts, or ACLU types, or -----add your own category). One thing for certain--properly hom schooled kids get a better education. The only real drawback is soclialization, and that is easily handled through scouts, clubs, churches, and the like. My sister-in-law home schooled their four kids. The three boys were all Eagle Scouts, and the girl (the youngest) is a college honors student. The oldest boy is a truck driver and owns his own rig even though he's well short of 30, the middle boy is a graduate student in a ministeral program, and the youngest lad is working on a Ph. D. in music. I don't think they suffered educationally.

As for taking your time with the youngsters, that's spot on. Equally true is that it behooves all of us to stop and savor our surroundings. The fishing is only part of it.

It's heartening for me to know there are still caring, committed parents out there, because I sometimes despair for the future of this country, and that has never been more true than at present.

Forgive me for wandering afield a bit from fishing, but to me a kid raised with a meaningful connection to the good earth, and that certainly includes fishing, has a far greater likelihood of a productive life, and a much smaller likelihood of going astray, than one stuck in a technological rut.

Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 07-12-2010, 05:40 PM

You're correct about socialization, Jim. We make it a priority and have for several years. Our kids stay involved with many activities, such as little league basketball, church youth groups and activities and also attend homeschool youth group functions in our area. We have taken great pride in the raising of our kids and God has rewarded thus far. Each one of my daughters this EOG testing (done by a licensed, non-family member teacher) tested at the minimum of 2 grades higher than their age should indicate...and my oldest just completed 9th grade and tested at a freshman college level or better. I'm proud of them, as you can probably tell!
They have Nintendos and such but they dont get used much, they rather be ouside!
Mark 1:17