Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Salmon and Steelhead

Old 07-13-2010, 12:04 PM

Can't beat Alaska and late august early September is the time to go, especially for the Kenai! Tourist season drops off and the trout/dolly varden fishing really picks up (not that it was ever slow). I spent a summer working at a fly fishing lodge and living on the banks of the Kenai in a tent. Great times. I will go back.

Catch these guys after work:

Home Sweet Home for the summer:

If you are young, just graduated school, or in-between jobs for the summer I really suggest looking into seasonal employment. You get paid to live and work somewhere beautiful with active like minded people who love to explore. Work hard play hard attitudes.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:39 PM

irfishing,
I also just got back from Alaska. Great fishing on the Naknek River just out of King Salmon.
We had a great King day and cought lots of Big Rainbow , lots of Sockeye and lots of Grayling. Would send pics but after several trys have given up on trying to send them.
Saw lots of Big Grizs. and rather large Wolf and a moose family swimming across the river.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:11 PM

Default fly catcher

i am preparing a trip to alaska. Wanting to do a fly in. Does any one know of a good guide that they may of had a good experience with? don't know exactly where i may be going. Just doing the research for now. looking at next August. i read that was a great time to go. There are so many guides listed online that it is hard to determine who will do us a good job.

Thanks for any information.

I read on line that the fishing at Wolf Creek dam - Cumberland river is really good right now and that the information people have been reading online about the dam may not be correct. Sure would like to go.

Instead headed to Little river.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:32 PM

dbutler,
Check out the Naknek River Camp website. Very reasonable with daily guides
and fly outs are availible. Been there the last two years. You have to be careful
you can have a bad time. These folks are top notch. Nothing fancy but solid service
at a reasonable price.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:13 AM

Thanks Principal
it really is great that there are people like you. the advice / information that you give saves us valueable time and money and in return makes the trip more enjoyable.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:23 AM

Default Kenai

The following link is to a guide on the Kenai River in Cooper Landing, Alaska. He also has various lodging accommodations at reasonable prices for Alaska (also has a tackle shop on site). Great guy and can customize your trip. Great area were you can fish the Russian River or the Kenai River. I like this area, because I can explore and fish on my own too (I am more of a do it your selfer). I fly into Anchorage and then rent a car to drive down to the area. One big draw back to the Kenai River (at the mouth of the Russian River) is that it is often combat fishing. Lots of bears, so bring some protection.

http://salmonrunlodge.com/index.html
Old 07-16-2010, 11:24 AM

dbutler,
I talked to several guys in the airport last week who got shafted by their outfitter
and weren't happy with their guides. That trip even at the best costs to much for a
bad experience. Drop me an email at pmcwhorter@tds.net [paul McWhorter] I will give you more info on this camp, then you can look around and make up your mind after that.
Paul
Old 07-16-2010, 02:28 PM

Thanks Rugger fly i will check that out. Just got back from the Big Horn 3 weeks ago. Water is way up from the snow melt. Caught way to many fish. If anyone wants to go there i know of a great outstanding guide named John. He is old but still very agile. Knows where all the fish are. A very outstanding trip!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-17-2010, 11:24 AM

Smile Old Thread

Wow! It is interesting that a two year old thread is revived.

Danny V glad you had a good experience working and fishing in Alaska. Good to know that the Kenai is fishing good. I didn't go to Alaska last year, fished the Bow river in Canada, but will be in Alaska for a week next month. Fishing the Kenai and Russian rivers and a fly out to the Wolverine creek area.

Will give a report when back in Tennessee. Maybe this time (with Paula's help) will have success posting photographs.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:02 PM

I worked just a few miles from the russian river confluence (Kenai River Sportfishing Lodge). The area around the russian river ferry is very crowded (Definition of combat fishing). IMHO if you are doing any DIY days take the russian ferry across and walk downstream away from the Russian river confluence. Less than a mile walk will get you away from the pistol toting bud slamming anchorage crowds into relative solitude, and just as many fish. Bear city though so just be prepared to act wisely. As for the Russian I never actually fished up it myself. The water is clear rather than the glacial blue of the Kenai which is nice. Plus the Russian is easily accessible from the Russian River campground which is cheaper than taking the ferry. You can walk downstream like I mentioned above from the campground and skip the ferry it is just a longer walk.

Russian River Bears with salmon.

My Buddy fishing 25 Yards from the rr confluence note the mixing of clear and cloudy water.