Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 07-14-2010, 01:00 AM

Default Idaho

I'll be heading to Idaho for a buddy's wedding in a couple weeks and will hopefully have at least 3 days to fish. The first day I'll be in Boise and I'm hoping to fish around town or within an hour's drive of town. After that, I'm heading up to McCall where I should have at least a couple days to drive around and fish. I don't really want to drive more than an hour or so as I'll be busy enough with other wedding-related activities in the evenings. Any suggestions?
Old 07-14-2010, 03:02 PM

I think the Provo is near Boise not sure thogh if it is you should try it out I read many good things @ it.
Lynn
Old 07-14-2010, 04:07 PM

My son & his family lived in Boise, now in McCall. I see them twice a year, always take a rod.

Boise R through town is just OK, mostly stocked and heavily fished.

Idaho is a huge state and folks there think nothing of driving 2 or 3 hours to fish. S F of the Boise is 1.25 hours east of town, great tailwater. Silver Creek is 3 hour east of town - legendary spring creek.

Ohwayee in OR is 1.5 hours west of town, great tailwater.

For fly fishing, McCall is mostly small high alpine lakes. Payette R south of town is marginal. Other good rivers east of town look close but mostly dirt roads at 30 mph so 2+ hours.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:19 AM

Thanks for the responses. I would like to fish the South Fork of the Boise rather than the Boise in town if it's going to be less crowded. Any suggestions on sections that are good for wading...flies to use? And I'll probably fish the Payette b/c I think that's one of the rivers that the bride's dad likes to fish, but I'd be interested in any more info you have on some lake fishing...same deal though, as I will be wading/ stalking shorelines...
Old 07-15-2010, 04:00 PM

On the SF Boise, you come in via the dam, fishing and access good for the next 4 to 5 miles, but it is primarily a drift boat stream...even though many wade. Just pick your spot anywhere along the road. Pink Alberts should be hatching about now....check with local shops.

Again, Payette looks like it should fish great....usually doesn't, smaller (8" to 10") fish. The small alpine lakes are usually 1 ot 2 mile walks. Each lake is stocked via chopper with either cuts, brooks or rainbows. Flying red ant hatch is great on these lakes.