Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 07-14-2010, 08:30 PM

Default Smallmouth Flies

I am a new fly-fisherman, but I have been fishing for smallmouth with spin tackle for as long as I can remember. I have been hitting the creeks in search of trout with my fly rod for the past month, but I am itching to get out on my favorite smallmouth water (the big pigeon in Newport) with a fly rod. What would you guys recommend for must-have flies for smallmouth?
Old 07-14-2010, 08:39 PM

My favorites are different variations of clousers(white, white/chartreuse, white/black, yellow,and green/orange), brown wooly bugger with yellow legs, and sculpin patterns.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:42 PM

Sorry forgot to mention poppers in white, black, blue, or chartruese. Color varies day by day.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:22 PM

Be careful Greenie. I started Smallmouth fly fishing just a month ago and I am addicted!! Stealth Bombers and Wiggle minnows in Chartreuse and white and Whitlocks Scorpion in root beer. Of course some of the veteran's would know more than I . good luck!

Mark
Old 07-15-2010, 01:42 PM

Crease fly and an olive Murrays strymph and maybe a Damp Minnow.
Lynn
Old 07-15-2010, 04:11 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. My wife does not fish, but she does tie on occasion (a trade she learned from her uncle), so I may have her to tie me up a few of these. Thanks again.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:50 AM

There is nothing more simple in the fly fishing world to catch then river smallmouth in terms of fly patterns. You need 2, that's right I said 2. First and foremost and white streamer tied with a rabbit strip, pick your poison zonker or zuddler. Both will work fine, make sure they are not too big, a size 6 is usually adequate. Fly number 2 a yellow popper medium in size, best style is a sneaky pete in a size 4 or 6.

That is it, all the other flies and patterns work don't get me wrong, but they are not needed from my experiences in our rivers. It seems the fish are either feeding or not, and if they are then most anything will work, if they are not feeding, go home nothing much will work well.

The most important aspect of catching river smallmouth is to view the river in the way an ambush species would. Make every cast hit in a place where a bass would like lay in wait for food.