Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 07-21-2010, 09:45 PM

Default for the record..

a surprising amount of traffic. at odd hours as well. man, sleep was at a minimum, i believe. may have dozed off momentarily. no harm in the name checking. i find it very fitting as well..for multiple reasons, 1 of which is i can and do throw a knuckleball in a knox adult bball league. another reason is i don't always use what few brain cells i have left..guess i don't want to over-work them...

I ,too, am glad i made it out. no way in **** i was calling in a rescue. did lose my rod but got it back today...and no one was stranded this time.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:43 PM

They always say that those kinda situations creep up on you... nobody expects to get stranded, otherwise you'd just head on out before dusk. Thanks for the reminder about being prepared. I've slacked on remembering my Sure Fire flashlight the last few fishing trips, and a good light will go a long way in that kinda situation.

Regarding getting a fire started, I always leave a couple of these Esbit liquid fuel blocks (http://www.esbit.de/index.php?id=105) in my pack, along w/ a lighter, some dryer lint in a ziploc baggy, and a fire striker just in case the lighter gets wet. They light easily with a lighter/small flame off some dryer lint, and they'll burn even if they get wet. Flame usually lasts about 10 minutes, which is plenty of time to get a flame going. We got caught in some VERY soggy weather up on Gregory Bald one weekend while backpacking, and the Esbit tabs were the difference between getting a fire going and sitting around in the dark. You can get them at Blue Ridge for about $10.

Anywho, glad everything worked out in the end!
Old 07-22-2010, 05:33 PM

One thing that works really well, and keeps dryer lint more water resistant is to stuff it into the pockets on a cardboard egg carton and then pour plain parafin wax over it. These homemade fire starters burn longer than just lint alone and are really easy to make.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:18 PM

I carry dryer lint, in toilet paper tubes, with vaseline smeared on the inside. Keep a couple in every pack.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 07-22-2010, 06:32 PM

The best thing anyone can carry while fishing or doing anything in the woods,backcountry or wherever, is some common sense. Spending the night on the far side of the stream aint near as bad as try ing to swim across and not making it.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman View Post
The best thing anyone can carry while fishing or doing anything in the woods,backcountry or wherever, is some common sense. Spending the night on the far side of the stream aint near as bad as try ing to swim across and not making it.
True that!
Old 07-23-2010, 11:30 AM

Default True Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman View Post
Although the river only peaked at 2.2 that night, which should be easy enough to cross back in many places (still a below minimum level for a kayak), although you might get a bit wet. We all know hind sight is 20/20, and I bet he'll pay more attention to specific places to cross so that if the water muddies up next time he will still be able to cross without too much danger. While I always carry an emergency pack when I go backcountry (most of my fishing), but never considered taking it roadside. While this experience does teach me just as many things can happen roadside as in the backcountry, I'm still pretty sure I would have swam back and stashed the rod if need be. Wet and home sure beats sleeping with camping gear. Even in the winter you should be able to get back to your car before hypothermia sets in. Just my 2 cents from a hindsight position. Although like my fishing buddy says, "Live to fish another day"
Old 07-23-2010, 11:18 PM

Default deceptive river levels

a river at night is totally different than during the day. at least to my eyes. the spot where i eventually crossed the next day, i probably could've crossed that night but i just couldn't see well enough and i didn't want to risk it. next time i'll just bring a bull whip and do my best indiana jones imitation. darn good replies.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:08 AM

Never done that one, but I have been caught on the wrong side of the river during a rain and waded back just in time for the river to be almost unwadable. It doesn't take much to really get that sucker rollin.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:33 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
It doesn't take much to really get that sucker rollin.
In the Winter a good half inch can do it. In the Summer i would look for an inch to an inch and a half of rain to get her rolling. 4 gallons per tree per day makes alot of difference