Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-24-2010, 12:18 AM

Default Road Prong question

Got my last fishing trip of the summer in before school starts back and WHOA did I pick a hot one! Stayed high today. Fished around Alum Cave area and had pretty good success. Hiked up the Chimney Tops Trail and up the Road Prong Trail about 1.5 miles until the 1st bridge on RP Trail. Was thinking about fishing Road Prong. Didn't fish much, but did work my out of shape legs a bit.
My question is that I head people referring to bridges in this area by number and I wanted to know does it start with the very first bridge out of the parking lot, or the first that crosses Road Prong?
My other question is how far up do you have to go to get good fishing? Maybe there are certain times when that creek fishes better than others? It was very small water and thickly covered with Rhoto and others. Had to go pretty high today to avoid the swimmer hatch, but it was a darn good day to take a dip, if I do say so myself! Any thoughts about RP?
Old 07-24-2010, 12:30 AM

Smile Here is how I count them

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_grainger View Post
Got my last fishing trip of the summer in before school starts back and WHOA did I pick a hot one! Stayed high today. Fished around Alum Cave area and had pretty good success. Hiked up the Chimney Tops Trail and up the Road Prong Trail about 1.5 miles until the 1st bridge on RP Trail. Was thinking about fishing Road Prong. Didn't fish much, but did work my out of shape legs a bit.
My question is that I head people referring to bridges in this area by number and I wanted to know does it start with the very first bridge out of the parking lot, or the first that crosses Road Prong?
My other question is how far up do you have to go to get good fishing? Maybe there are certain times when that creek fishes better than others? It was very small water and thickly covered with Rhoto and others. Had to go pretty high today to avoid the swimmer hatch, but it was a darn good day to take a dip, if I do say so myself! Any thoughts about RP?
I believe it cooresponds with most others. When you hit Chimney's trail 1st bridge - Walker Prong. Second bridge in 50 feet crosses Road Prong. 3rd Bridge cross in .3 to .4 miles. 4th bridge is a Beech Flats near trail confluence (.7 to .9 miles). 5th Bridge is .4 miles up RP trail after Chimey's trail cuts off, and is right abobe Skyline Falls (35 feet). Good fishing starts at 2nd bridge and is good to about .3 miles above 5th bridge. I have hot & cold days there - like an Brookie steam. Fish see enough people to be somewhat educated on low water days! Hope that helps
James
Old 07-24-2010, 05:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

beech flats is where the cherokee graveyard lies.....no stones but lotsa graves from thomas regiment that was at fort harry
Old 07-24-2010, 09:57 PM

So that's where the graves are. I've been wondering although I had heard it was just one Indian and it was called Indian Grave flat or something similar.
Todd, I was one of those swimmers at the 1st big hole at around 5:30 PM along with my family. I talked to 3 fellows from Knoxville that were headed up with flyrods at around 5.