Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-22-2010, 06:42 PM

Default Avthony Creek ?

This question is a little different, but here goes. My wife has MS and rides a scotter. I like to fish once in a while where she can just be there on the side of the stream close by where I'm fishing. Metcalf Bottoms works well for this but wandering sence Anthony Creek goes through Cades Cove picnic area is there anywhere that might work there?

Tom
Old 07-22-2010, 06:49 PM

Little River (Elkmont) might be a good option. I actually ran into some one doing that up there this spring.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 07-22-2010, 06:57 PM

Thanks GrouseMan. When we do that catching fish is not a big deal, we just like to go somewhere different sometimes. There was a time when she was my fishing buddy but MS changed that several years ago.

Tom
Old 07-22-2010, 08:05 PM

tntom--Don't know whether you ever come over to this side of the mountains (N.C.), but there are several spots on the Nantahala River which would lend themselves to your wife's situation. They shut the water off late in the afternoon and there's usually a three- to four-hour window when the raft and kayak hatch is gone. Down close to the Nantahala Outdoor Center I believe there's even a boardwalk running right along the river.
Aesthetically it isn't appealing (although once the floaters are gone it's surprisingly tranquil), but if I had to pick one place anywhere in N. C. to catch a bunch of trout (and that includes the Park), the Nantahala is where I'd go. Hope this helps a little, and good for you for wanting to let her savor the experience the best she can.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 07-23-2010, 04:46 AM

Tom,
There is maybe a couple hundred yards of Anthony Creek that is right beside the picnic areas. The creek isn't very big but you can catch a few bows within a few steps of the picnic tables.
Tad
Old 07-23-2010, 11:18 AM

I fished Anthony Creek through the campground when I was camping there in April. An older gentleman was very interested in watching me fish so he went and got a folding chair and followed along on the bank. He was probably with me for 30 or 40 minutes and I was lucky enough to catch 10 to 15 small rainbows. He had a great time, as did I, and was asking me questions the entire time as he was never more than 20 feet from me. I think your wife could get her scooter close to the stream many places in this area.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:26 AM

There is also a handicap accessible trail just above park headquarters on the WPLP that has a paved path that follows the river for a while.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:10 AM

Rog 1 and tntom--Good point, and that part of the West Prong of the Little Pigeon offers some fine fishing for rainbows (and is lovely to the eye). The vestiges of lives lived there in days gone by, mainly in the form of meticulously built stone walls which served two purposes--as walls and to clear farmland--give the wanderer ample pause to reflect while in the area.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 07-27-2010, 02:49 PM

Thanks for all the help. That's like mountain fisherman give more help than is ask for. It speeks well of you folks, this is a good forum.

Tom