Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Rod Building

Old 07-30-2010, 10:22 PM

Default Rod Building tips

I was pondering building a few rods this fall, a 7' 3wt, an 8'4/5 wt and maybe a 9' 5/6 wt, I had some questions about the different components required, first off what are the Winding checks? and what do they do? second, looking at cork grips, what is the difference with the "hood", there is a round hood, a recessed hood and no hood(i guess), and lastly what type and size thread and what glue/epoxy would you suggest to finish off the eyes and hook keeper?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 08-02-2010, 09:29 AM

The cork check is basically a piece of metal or plastic that goes in front of the grip to give a transistion from cork to blank. Mostly cosmetic but will help keep moisture from getting under the grip if sized correctly. As far as reel seats and their hods. Down locking do not have recessed hoods where uplocking do. The recessed hood in an up locking seat is the piece of metal that the reel foot slides into under the cork grip. On down locking seats there is usually something similar to the cork check where you have a piece of metal that transitions the cork grip to the wood insert. For thread, if these are your first rods, use a nylon size A thread and flexcoat or flexcoat lite. I would head over to www.rodbuildingforum.com and have a look around. There are a ton of great guys over there that build some great looking rods and are more than willing to help out. There are also several tutorials showing you how to do things.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:14 AM

Also Tom Kirkman's book ($10) is a great resource as is his website: rodbuilding.org.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:34 PM

Thanks GMReeves and Bfish ! I have been to rodbuilding.org and the forum and they make my head spin from all the info and pictures ! I guess I need to start slowing down and work into it slowly, ha ha ha.

Thanks again,
Chris
Old 08-03-2010, 08:35 AM

The good thing about the internet is the wealth of information, which in turn is also it's downside. When anybody asks me about getting into building cane rods, I say the hardest part is getting started. One easy thing you could do is order an inexpensive kit, and then let it sit on your desk until you decided to start putting it together. I bet you will get to it sooner than later. Go to one of the forums and ask what a good beginner kit would be for what you are wanting to fish, pick one of the options, and order it. From then on, there is no looking back.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:16 PM

Default Rodbuilding

I second the motion on the Rod Building Forum. Great bunch of folks. The forum has a separate section on bamboo rods. I'm John T. on the forum. Let me know if I can help; I build spinning and fly rods.

Last edited by Knothead; 08-03-2010 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: add information
Old 08-08-2010, 07:34 PM

Millerdvr,

Another good book for a a beginning fly rod builder is "Fly Rod Building Made Easy" by Art Scheck. It's a little more expensive, I paid $25 around 8 yrs ago for my copy. It's easy to understand IMO and shows how to build a rod using tools you have around the house or how to make your own fixtures, etc. on the cheap. Has great illustrations and step by step descriptions on how to complete a certain assembly.

Good luck,

Neal
Old 08-09-2010, 09:38 AM

Go to www.mudhole.com; they are the largest rodbulding supplier in the country. They have several books and videos on rodbuilding. Also, there is a tab at the top of the home page called Rodbuilding 101; click on it and it will walk you through the process. Contact me through my website if I can help in any way, building since 2005.
The winding check also covers any space between the blank and the cork. Thread is wrapped next to it and then wrapped toward the tip.

Last edited by Knothead; 08-09-2010 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: correct spelling
Old 08-09-2010, 12:34 PM

Thanks fella's ! I really appreciate the advice.