Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-02-2010, 07:24 AM

ruggerfly--Thanks. I knew the word started with a "c" and ended in "ium," but it just wouldn't come to me (and I was too lazy to look it up!).
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 08-02-2010, 07:27 AM

Buzz--Those are some interesting photos for sure. They all appear to be of pines. Is that the only species of tree so marked?
Jim Casada
Old 08-02-2010, 07:31 AM

Adam--Those details leave no doubt it was a bear that did this. I can't answer your other questions, but I suspect a bear is sort of like an old cow, if his back is itching then a rub against a fence post (or for the bear, a tree, is the answer.
The other description of a "shredded" tree totally mystifies me. I've never seen anything like that.
Jim Casada
Old 08-02-2010, 03:03 PM

Jim, They were all pines. I looked around quite a bit to try and find another species so marked, however pines are the only ones I could come up with. It is also apparent that they have been marking the sames trees for many years. They were heavilly sapped over, some had an inch worth of sap that had bleed out and had dried running to the ground.

FishandHunt, I didn't notice any trees marked higher than what a good sized bear could reach from the ground, however, I didn't think to look. You've got my curiousity going and I might have to check it out again when hunting season rolls around. All the bite marks were on the uphill side of the trees, and it was apparent that they wanted to make them appear as tall as possible. I did put a trail camera on some of them for a while and all I got was pictures of coons, coyotes, and deer.