Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-03-2010, 09:12 PM

I have fished in the park for about 10 years, and have only been stopped once. He checked everything. That was several years ago though. Seems to be a problem without a clear solution.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:31 PM

Adam--A lot of local bear hunters, some of them apparently a pretty rough crowd, like to "train" their dogs by turning them out along the road leading from Jonathan Creek over into Cataloochee. There is a training season before the onset of actual bear hunting, and I've seen those guys at multiple pullouts during the training season and after the actual bear season opens. Apparently some of them are a pretty rough lot and rangers just don't want to mess with them.
Incidentally, if you spend much time in the Cataloochee area you are going to hear and likely see dogs. That's where most of them are coming from.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 08-03-2010, 09:40 PM

I see Jim well I have heard of the dogs over there in Cataloochee. Believe it or not I talked about that very thing with your brother on this post a few weeks back:

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...s/newtons-bald

As far as the poachers I wonder if trout u, gsma or some other group like that could volunteer to help in some way in the park. I know they couldn't enforce regs but maybe they could take down peoples tag numbers or something.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 08-04-2010, 08:35 AM

At the risk of opening up a cup of worms.... Since gates have most certainly curtailed poaching via wheeled conveyance, wouldn't the same be true if boat landings were restricted. For example, how about the Park Service erecting large signs within 500 yards or so of the mouths of Forney Creek, Hazel Creek, etc., making public boat landings illegal? Wait, there's more... Ferry landings would still be permitted by licensed operators who, among other things, would be required to prevent clients from carrying on bait - or lunch that could be fashioned into the same. The signs could perhaps read... NO PUBLIC BOAT LANDINGS. STRICTLY ENFORCED BY DRONES.

JF

Last edited by JoeFred; 08-04-2010 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: Downplayed
Old 08-04-2010, 09:16 AM

I have fished in the Park for 50 years and can count the number of times I have been asked for my license on one hand...only once have I had a ranger ask to look at my creel and that was only after I volunteered that I had caught my limit....after verifying that my smallest fish was in fact legal he offered up his reason for wanting to see my fish..."Don't usually have a "flat lander" from Florida have such good luck up here"...my grandfather who was with me and who had taught me the ways of fishing for trout took exception to that remark and pointed out that I had outfished him that day and he was a local...
Old 08-04-2010, 10:00 AM

I always thought an annual pass/day pass system for the park would be well worth it to get the funding up to support a larger ranger force. I know a friend lost her job as a ranger on the NC side last year due to budget cuts.

Donations and federal money is just not cutting it, I would fully support a paid entry fee to use the park to keep the rules enforced and the park pristine. I would also expect more than traffic enforcement from this type of approach though. If they just doubled the amount of speeding ticket writers, that would be a waste.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:07 AM

What you say is very much frowned upon by most locals and I used to have the same opinion but recently have changed my mind. I now think that having an entrance fee would be a good thing but it will never happen. Locals and others could still get a yearly pass for like $35 which isn't that much but the small fee itself I think would definitely send most of the bad apples, joyriders, poachers and bait slingers elsewhere.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 08-04-2010, 10:34 AM

I have paid to visit the parks out west as I know many others have. Would this really be a solution?
All we would need to do is change federal policy but that is not a big task
Old 08-04-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamhound View Post
I have paid to visit the parks out west as I know many others have. Would this really be a solution?
All we would need to do is change federal policy but that is not a big task
I don't think it would be a fix it all solution. I think it would keep some of the bad apples away, but not all of them. If they will ignore the rules of fishing bait and licenses, they will ignore the pass rules as well.

Maybe we will catch more of them though and actually could get some kind of response from the park when we do report such problems.

I donate more to the park than a standard park pass out west and would be happy to continue to do the same and get a pass in hopes that someone who didn't care about the condition they leave the park in when they leave didn't visit the park.

I think it will never happen. Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge/Sevierville would make sure of that because it would have a large potential impact on their tourist dollars.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:17 AM

I don't like the idea of poor families/people having to pay to spend time in the park. It's there for everyone and a fee would keep them from enjoying the park.