Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 07-31-2010, 02:07 PM

Have fished out of Edwards, Co for the last 7 years August-September. You have the eagle river at the foot of beaver creek with plenty of public access.

In Glenwood Canyon or up above State Bridge both about 30 mins from Beaver Creek you have the Colorado River.

In Vail itself you have Gore Creek and 45 mins east of Beaver Creek you have the Blue River.

If you want to drive further afield you can do the Roaring Fork, Frying Pan or Yampa all about 90 mins from Beaver Creek

All in all you have a full range of waters to fish with plenty of public access - the decision is which ones not to fish.

Snow usually starts around mid Sept but no real heavy accumulations, normally. October is a great time to be throwing big streamers out there.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:59 PM

Default Scouting

The equation that seems to work for me is:

Get a Trails Illustrated map that covers one or more major streams that have decent sized tributaries, that come down from wilderness areas (Eagles Nest, Rawah, Flattops, Maroon Bells, Wemuniche, South San Juan, Lizard head...http://www.coloradowilderness.com/wildpages/map.html).

Find a trail that takes you 1-2+ miles away from the nearest road, travels into the wilderness area and crosses a stream around 9000'+. Start fishing. Use a #14 -16 Stimulator, EHC, Royal Wulff or other type of attractor and prepare to be amazed.

A personal favorite of mine is the Three Forks area above Platoro Reservoir on the Conejos River. Its an easy 3 mile hike to any of three streams up into the Wemuniche wilderness area.

If you are serious about fishing out there, I would recommend getting the book, "Flyfishing in Southern Colorado" to get a lay of the land (and major Streams) and then start charting out the tributaries they don't talk much about that come out of the wilderness areas. The author says in the book that he specifically left out many of the better small streams for fear they would get overfished. And I won't name names here either because finding those streams are half the funl (including one that I'm going to visit this year thats on the back-end of a 5 mile hike to a spot someone else lost a camera on...)

Even if you don't find 14-16" Cutts in every run, most streams that fit those criteria are full of 10-12" Brookies and Cutts (if they are decent sized tributaries - think LR above Elkmont)...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 08-02-2010, 02:59 PM

thanks. I received Flyfishing in Southern Colorado in the mail late last week but haven't dug in yet.

I'm only out there for a Thursday - Monday trip, staying in Telluride proper and will be accompanied by my wife, who has only a passing interest in fishing, so I won't be going too far afield.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:39 PM

That's a long way to go for a Thursday-Sunday trip.

There's some good info on the Telluride Outside website: http://www.tellurideoutside.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=standard&categoryId=7&subCate goryId=0

I believe that Charlie's been to TellurideAnglers and has said they are friendly folks (much more so than Duranglers), you should probably stop in and pick their brains (and buy some flies, etc...)

In addition to the San Miguel, you are about 20 miles north of some of the upper tribs of the Dolores River. You might want to look into those, as well...

Old 08-04-2010, 11:13 PM

Dang! that's a lot of info! Thanks for all that!

Now the sad part...my trip out west probably won't happen this year. I'm likely to stay around TN/NC again. I'll get out there eventually; I just hope I can find this thread again when the time comes.

Reading all that really makes me want to go out there. Thanks again!
Old 08-05-2010, 02:46 PM

I just got to the chapter in the book on the Upper Dolores this morning, and I said to my wife "This sounds like my kind of fishing. I'm packing the 2 weight." I will definitely spend at least one full day on the Dolores above the dam, the West Fork and/or some creek tribs. thanks for the link, and I always hit the local fly shop to buy some items (and information).
Old 08-05-2010, 07:51 PM

Mr Mike, Make sure you post a report with pics....