Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-09-2010, 04:42 PM

Default Yesterday's Trip/My First Spec

I went into the park yesterday, August 8. My buddy and I stepped into the creek and made our first casts at 7 A.M. Our trip was worthwhile as we ended the day at 1 P.M. with a total of 21 fish being brought to hand between the two of us (19 specs and 2 bows). My second cast of the day into a small plunge pool rewarded me with my first "mountain trout." He is pictured first below. The second picture below was the best fish of the day, a 10 inch spec I landed in a deep plunge pool below some falls.

I do not want to disclose the stream name in this post, because I am sure this board has many visitors besides just the handful of us who post; and one of the biggest draws of this stream is the seclusion it provides without a long hike. However, the third pic below is a picture of one of the falls on this stream which will be familiar to those of you who have fished it. Further, you can email me at humanistvol@gmail.com, and I will tell you the stream name. I just do not want to "plaster" it all over the internet, and I also do not want to withhold info from a board of people who have provided me with good info.

I wish I had more pics, but I am in desperate need of a good water-proof camera that won't break the bank (any suggestions?). These were taken on my iPhone, which I have to unwrap from two ziploc bags before snapping pics.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:00 PM

Beautiful color on that second big brookie. Congratulations. I'm loving my Pentax Optio W80. Fuji has a new waterproof out, but I there were no reviews on it at the time I bought my Pentax, so I gave it a pass. Probably some reviews now. Seems like it was going for around $150.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:14 PM

Greenie - very nice job.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 08-09-2010, 09:17 PM

I have a Pentax W80. I really like all the features it has. No leaks yet. However, I'm not really happy with the photo quality in many lighting situations, even at low ISO speeds. A lot of noise. Seems like you give up image quality in pretty much all of the waterproof/ruggedized point and shoots though.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:26 AM

Default Way to go!

Congratulations on your first spec in the park.

That is one beautiful fish!

Did you catch most on the weenie?

Scott
Old 08-10-2010, 09:10 AM

Congrats on your first brook. I still remember my first one, the stream and even the exact hole I caught him from.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:19 AM

Greenie--A somewhat belated congratulations on your first "mountain trout," and double kudos for recognizing and using that wonderfully descriptive name for specks. They are the true original inhabitants of mountain streams, and they epitomize all that is so magical about the places they are found--remoteness, striking beauty, sparse signs of the human presence, a love for wild settings. You've made a memory which should last the rest of your life.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 08-10-2010, 10:50 AM

excellent place for a trip and wonderful picture of your first and largest trout.

Thanks for sharing

Congradulations.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:06 AM

Thanks to everyone who have offered congratulations and camera recommendations. I think I am going to take a chance on the pentax you guys have suggested.

Scott: We caught all the fish on green weenies. My friend started with a BHPT/yellow stonefly imitation tandem, but once I had brought 4 fish to hand before he had his first strike, he humbly asked for one of my green weenies.

Mr. Casada: You summed it up perfectly. As a 26 year old, I felt like a 10 year old boy filled with the excitement a fishing trip always provides a young boy. Holding that little "mountain trout" in my hand is undoubtedly a moment I will never forget. My friend and I fished this stream extremely slow because we regularly took time-outs to just sit on a rock, talk and take in the beauty this little stream offers.

A cool little story I forgot to include in my original post: I hooked a small speck in a large plunge pool, and as I was bringing him in, a large rainbow trout chased his every move. My friend, thinking the large rainbow was the fish I had hooked, says, "Whoa! Good fish!" He certainly looked very puzzled when I brought that 5 inch brookie out of the water. I wonder had the large rainbow taken that little speck and became hooked, if it would have been considered fishing with live bait? Haha.