Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 08-16-2010, 09:19 AM

Had a decent weekend, the fish were cooperative and present, just did not hold up my end of the bargin too well. Started Saturday strong, went out to a flat on the kayak, and saw a fish in the tall grass. Made several casts trying to get my fly down in the tall grass....and slam fish on. It was a nice 27 inch fish and my line held as he ran all over in the tall grass.

After that it was not as good. Saw another fish in the same area and with about 7 cast could not get the fly down and he dissappeared. Moved to another spot on the same flat and there were fish there, but moving and I had no luck. I should have picked up one if not two. Moved back to the original spot, and the water was too deep. Had one fish swim right up to the kayak before spooking.

I then started to work my way back down the flat. I had a fish about six feet off the kayak. Looked like a nice fish, tail just showing in about 2 feet of water. I made a cast as I was backing away from the fish and he nailed it. started to run and I thought I had broken him off. Turns out that he had pulled out the nail knot and taken my leader, tippet and fly.

Made a field expedient repair, and continued to fish. Saw two other fish, but never was able to make a cast prior to them dissappearing.

Sunday went to another spot with a friend to fish while moving around the flat in Kayaks. Saw about 4 or five on the main river edge, but no good shot. Moved up onto the flat as the water started, and ran into a bunch of puppy drum tailing. They were very skittish, I watched one swim right up to another one, and they both spooked, spooking another two or three on there way off of the flat. About this time the heavens opened up. It was raining so hard that you couldn't see 20 feet in front of you.

Waited out the heaviest portion of the rain, then started fishing again. To this point the lightning had stayed 15-17 miles away. Started seeing some fish, then the wind shifted rapidly, and that lightning that had been a long ways off was suddenly within a mile. Got my partner and made are way to cover as fast as possible. Mush have seen 5-6 nice tailing fish on my way to pick up my partner and on our way off of the flat....just couldn't put that 9' lightning rod in my hand to give them a try. Stayed under cover until the lightning moved off, about 40 minutes and the best part of the tide.

Got back in the kayaks and headed back out. By now the water was too deep to see the fish in most places, so we moved around looking for shallower water. I saw one fish, and I managed a good cast and landed about a 22" fish.

I hooked one other that came off, and that was it. We saw plenty of fish, but by now they were moving off of the flat because the tide was turning. We called it a day and headed in. Both of my fish came on a gold crab pattern.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:03 PM

Dude you've had a great week. Hope Savannah fishes like that, If it does even I might find a suicidal red. What length leader were you using.
Lynn
Old 08-16-2010, 08:25 PM

I always use a 7.5 foot 20lb abrasion resistent leader and add about 1.5 feet of 20lb test silverthread as tippet. It works well in the high tide flats for me.