Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 08-14-2010, 07:23 PM

Default fishing out of a boat on caney fork

I have a 16' flat bottom boat with a 50hp motor and was thinking about going and and floating the caney fork river. is this boat to big or would it be ok to do a float in? i know that in order to do this though i would need the corps to be generating.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:02 PM

I never boat fished the caney, but I see plenty of jet boats with that size (or larger) motors. I assume you will be fine except for a few shallow riffles that you may not be able to ascend.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkuflyfisherman View Post
I have a 16' flat bottom boat with a 50hp motor and was thinking about going and and floating the caney fork river. is this boat to big or would it be ok to do a float in? i know that in order to do this though i would need the corps to be generating.
My dad and I float the Caney all the time in our 12' jon boat. The motor might prove to be a problem, it gets shallow very fast in certain areas. We've dragged our trolling motor a few times not paying attention. If they're generating, it won't be a problem at all. But, the fishing is very slow and the float gets sketchy with the current.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:55 AM

Your best bet would be to motor upstream during generation and then fish the falling water back to your launch point. If your boat is at least 48 inches wide, it should draft shallow enough to fish most of the water without any problem. They've been generating from 9-11 am for a while now so if you put in at Happy Hollow at about 10:30 (about when the 9 o'clock water hits) you should be able to motor up to the dam without too much of a problem.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:11 PM

Lancaster will probably prove to be problematic. I can't make it through in a kayak, let alone a boat. It gets down to a trickle there.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Lancaster will probably prove to be problematic. I can't make it through in a kayak, let alone a boat. It gets down to a trickle there.
Agreed. The middle section of Lancaster gets real skinny when the water drops out...I usually have to drag my kayak there unless I hit a seam just right.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:02 PM

As far as running upstream during generation, you will have no problem. On the float down there will be some areas that can get skinny, I take my boat through some very skinny water and only when I am more interested in fishing do I ever have to get out. This assumes you can tilt the motor above the bottom of the transom. The issue that you will face is the weight of the boat and loading it at the end of your drift. Depending upon tow vehicle, trailer length and height to bunks, you may have to lift the boat onto the trailer to get it up. I fish a 14ft jon with decks and a smaller outboard (draft about 5 inches with 2 people) and have no issues but have had to lift my boat up on a couple of occasions due to low water.

Please watch out for others on the river. There are a couple of real numbskulls that pay no attention to waders and other boaters and they give a bad name to all of us in boats. Had a friend throw rocks at a guy that weaved between waders at throttle in relatively shallow water. The boater was lucky that friend was not armed that day or he could have tested his bilge pump.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:52 PM

thanks guys for the info. this really helps alot. now i guess i will just have to wait till the rain stops and all the run off is finished before it will be any good fishing. not complaining about the rain though because we needed it.