Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-05-2010, 05:39 PM

Default any suggestions for AM

Well, I'm in pigeon forge for my family's last hoorah before school. I snuck out today before sunup and went up to tremont. Of course I lost the biggest fish. Lost too many, but it was still fun!

So to the point. If some of you would be so kind...where could I go tomorrow morning with chances for bigger fish. I know Little River has been doing good this year. I want to get there quickly so I was thinking above Metcalf. What about the parking situation above Elkmont? Could I go up there?
Old 08-05-2010, 06:12 PM

When I was there last weekend, the road to the trail head above Elkmont was still closed.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:25 PM

I am headed out that way in the morning as well. Still trying to figure out where I am going to end up. I would really like to go early, but I am out of tippet and need a few flies, so I will probably be at LRO around 9am and get out as quick as I can after that.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jross View Post
Well, I'm in pigeon forge for my family's last hoorah before school. I snuck out today before sunup and went up to tremont. Of course I lost the biggest fish. Lost too many, but it was still fun!

So to the point. If some of you would be so kind...where could I go tomorrow morning with chances for bigger fish. I know Little River has been doing good this year. I want to get there quickly so I was thinking above Metcalf. What about the parking situation above Elkmont? Could I go up there?
jross,

Below is the limited parking that available for the Little River Trail/Jakes Creek. Little River is your best option for larger fish on the TN side. You could always fish just below the campground early in the day when it's cooler if you can't get one of the spots for the trailhead.

Good luck, Neal

Little River Trail - Parking for day and overnight trail users will be available on an extremely limited basis at the walk-in camping area in B loop. Twelve parking spaces are available on a first-come, first-served basis. A marked route through the campground to the Little River Trail will be established and visitors/campers are advised to adhere to this route to avoid potential hazards from the ongoing road and parking area construction.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:59 PM

well, I went a little bit above Metcalf. Why didn't anyone tell me I wouldn't catch very many!? J/K... i found out if I want to catch a lot of fish I should go to Tremont, but if I want bigger fish I should look to LR!

I ended up only catching 3 fish (not counting chubs). But....they were the 2 largest browns I ever caught! I lost 2 other nice fish. I might have a picture for ya'll later. The fish will smothered in butter though! (couldn't help but keep 'em...I did feel bad about it for a little bit.)

For discussion and my own knowledge,is below Elkmont too warm for trout this time of year? Is there a sort of thermo-barrier?
Old 08-20-2010, 08:09 PM

Congrats on catching the browns! I was between Metcalf Bottoms and Elkmont last weekend in hopes of catching my first brown and got skunked. I just caught my first Brookie this past trip to the park and hope to catch a Brown on my next.

Kim Razor

PS What part of Southern Indiana are you from? I enjoy Turkey hunting in the National Forest near Tell City.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:41 PM

Default Elk

Fished the lower section of Elkmont a couple of days ago. Water was VERY warm.....stung a couple of small fish in 45 minutes.

As Byron has been saying....you have to get up high and fish the cooler water. Took his advise tonight.....

Just sayin