Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-21-2010, 03:43 PM

Default Thunderhead 8/21/10

Fished Thunderhead prong early Saturday morning with a friend and my oldest boy Jack (who's 7). We got rained on twice, and it poured pretty hard, but it didnt slow us down any. Jack was a trooper, put on his jacket and kept on going. After we slipped and fell in the stream, he wasnt phased either. The fish were only interested in the dry flies today. I kept trying a green weenie which worked well my last time out, but did nothing for me today.
Anyway, the coolest part of the trip was Jack's first fish on a flyrod, and it was his first trout. Not a bad start either, the little rainbow was a good 6 inches, caught on a parachute adams. He was super excited to say the least, and cant wait to go back.

He's been interested in flyfishing for a few weeks, now, so Ive been giving him some lessons in the backyard and he has caught on quickly. His casting isnt a problem at all, he was laying out good thirty foot casts in a perfect line today when he had some room to backcast. He gets tangled in brush/himself as much as I do, so he's doing good there. He just has to work on mending line, controlling the fly and line once its in the water so that he can set the hook. Guess we need to get back up there so he can practice! ;-)

Tired, cold, soaking wet, and ready to do it again!!!!
Old 08-21-2010, 04:41 PM

Horray!!!
Good going, Dad.
I really enjoy seeing parents taking a interest and getting their kids involved in the outdoors.
Hats off to ya!
Mark 1:17
Old 08-21-2010, 04:43 PM

Priceless, JB. Thanks for sharing and inspiring.

JF
Old 08-21-2010, 08:21 PM

Great Stuff!!!!!!!!
Just took my 4 year old nephew fishing a few weeks back. Caught his first fish ever, on a dry too. He had so much fun, as did his proud uncle. :-)
Old 08-21-2010, 09:09 PM

Nicely done, JayB, nicely done.

And welcome to the board. I know you and Jack will have lots of stories to share with us in the future.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 08-22-2010, 09:45 AM

Smile Nice stuff!

As I wheeled my twins in the stroller on Thursday to Laurel Falls, I was anticipating future visits when they get older and can't wait to show them all the Smokies has to offer. Your post is what I am hoping for with my boys.

Then on Friday I ventured into the Raven Fork. As I was swallowed in beauty (as well as some great fishing), I realized I can't wait until I can share this place with the youngin's.

Did you hit Thunderhead from the bottom, or did you hit it from Defeat Ridge trail above Shut-in?
Old 08-22-2010, 08:48 PM

Thumbs up

It was definitely an awesome thing to witness! When Jack was probably about 5 he could pretty much out fish me on the Texas bass, so I have no doubt he'll be doing the same on trout in no time. We basically fished from about half-way to Sam's Creek up to it.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:13 PM

Love to see kid pictures of having fun and catching fish!!!!!!