Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fisheries Management & Biology

Old 08-22-2010, 01:47 PM

Adam--Remember that Chambers Creek has two forks, both of which hold fish. I'll virtually guarantee you won't have competition there.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 08-22-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Casada View Post
Fred--That's far better to my eyes, but you don't have a color for brown trout (although you have browns pictured).
Jim Casada
Jim, I debated dropping the image of the brown for the Little Pigeon River maps in the same fashion I did for the bass used on the Little River map, but just hated to break up the handsome trio of trout. In the event a brown is caught in LPR waters, I will add a color to cover that, but if its in water holding strictly browns, that might well be a first I'm told. Otherwise I would just be adding back the color representing a mix of both browns and 'bows, browns and specks, or all trout as used on the Little & Tuckasegee River drainage creeks.

Adam, re. blue meaning no data available for that stream/branch or section correct?

Yes, that is correct.

JF
Old 08-22-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
JoeFred's Maps are Top-Notch!...I always try and send people to your website when then need a good map.
Thanks, Shawn!

JF
Old 08-22-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFred View Post
Thanks, Shawn!

JF
There are very few people I stand behind and I believe you are a good man and I think I have a good feeling for what drives you from out discussions... Anyhow; it is enough that I put my reputation behind. Believe it or not; I have turned plenty of money and fly fishing goods to promote things. That is really not my style. I promote what I like and who I feel is putting out the best product/service for people.

-SM

*I know that when my boats hit the market; that they will be backed by honesty, integrity, and a **** good design....
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 08-23-2010, 07:11 AM

I am in the process of notifying all those who have already purchased the Little River map about the successful Sams Creek brook trout restoration. I am having some weatherproof labels printed to go on the rest.

Avery labels... the duct tape of publishing.

I'm hoping to fish Sams Creek the first time today. If I am fortunate enough to run into one of you there, don't worry, I won't try to sell you a map.

JF
Old 08-23-2010, 08:20 AM

JoeFred-

I just wanted to say I really have enjoyed looking at the basic map previews you have been putting on your website and the discussions on this board about them. I picked up a hard copy of your LR map on Saturday when I was in Little River Outfitters. I can't wait to get more! Are your downloadable 'basic' version maps essentially in their final version? I know for a while there you were still occasionally updating them so I was holding off on purchasing the whole digital bundle. At any rate, these maps are awesome! Keep up the excellent work!
Old 08-23-2010, 08:38 AM

Glad you are going to do some first hand research Fred . Doubt you will see anyone up there today. Be careful up there!

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 08-23-2010, 08:42 AM

NDuncan, I appreciate your kind words. Regarding downloads: Now that I have learned how to create the more detailed 11x17 maps and produce them fairly quickly, I do not plan to do add any more content to the downloadable 'basic' versions. Instead, I may even "dumb them down" some (omit trails, for example) and make them a free download. Drop me an e-mail using the address on the "Contact" page and I will let you know when that is the case. I think it best not to try to keep two maps of the same area since it increases the risk of bad info. Don't need that when it comes to the backcountry. Finally, I may be making downloadables of selected 11x17s available in the not too distance future. The base topo maps would be at somewhat lower resolution in order to optimize the file sizes.

JF
Old 08-23-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Casada View Post
Fred....Did Matt Kulp tell you, or do you know how the Park came up with its distribution map? ...
Jim, I have been in contact with Matt this morning. I am paraphrasing what I learned.

All of the sampling was done with electrofishing. Their folks worked in crews of two and literally shocked until they ran out of fish, and then went another 300-400m to verify. When they found possible barriers along the way, or found where a species ended, they noted the point using an altimeter or GPS. Matt concurred with me that the crews have indeed been "back of beyond." He said that when sampling a mixed population, a species range was considered to end when it became less than 5% of the population. He pointed out that this is a floating boundary as it is ever changing up and down with drought, etc.

Matt confirmed that the upper Indian Creek area was not completed due to lack of funding and that some of the areas where I have blue lines were simply not sampled.

Matt if you are reading this, thanks again!

JF
Old 08-23-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
Glad you are going to do some first hand research Fred . Doubt you will see anyone up there today. Be careful up there!
Adam, I did get to do some first hand research, but sadly didn't bring a fish to hand. I got to the lower part of Sams this evening in time to "sample" a few pools. I can now personally attest there are specks there. One was considerate enough to flash his orange underside just as the was expelling my dry. I must return when I have more time.

JF