Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Website and Message Board

Old 09-02-2010, 01:52 PM

Default Personal messages?

Is there any way to send personal messages to a member, bypassing the message board? I don't care to take up board "space" with an inquiry to a member about meeting to wet a line. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:09 PM

Paula--I have a somewhat related question. Is there any way for an individual to be notified when a message is directed toward them? Another forum in which I participate does this with some kind of auto e-mailing.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 09-02-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Casada View Post
Paula--I have a somewhat related question. Is there any way for an individual to be notified when a message is directed toward them? Another forum in which I participate does this with some kind of auto e-mailing.
Jim Casada
Go to edit options in your user cp.

Set your default thread subscription mode to instant email notification or you can set it to the time frame of your choosing.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:57 PM

How do I send a message to a member?
Old 09-02-2010, 05:07 PM

Private messages are disabled from what I can tell. You would have to get their email address, i guess.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Go to edit options in your user cp.

Set your default thread subscription mode to instant email notification or you can set it to the time frame of your choosing.
Trip--This will probably have most everyone on this forum chuckling at my ignorance, but I've never been one scared to say "I don't know." When you mention my edit options in my user cp I don't have a clue as to what you mean. What does cp stand for and where does one find edit options?
Beyond that I have no clue as to what a default thread is. Maybe my daughter can show me the next time she visits, and I guarantee my brother would know.

Me, I suspect I've got about as wide-ranging vocabulary as anyone using the forum, I can type 100+ words a minute on a steady basis, and I would virtually guarantee I've read as much as any of you guys and gals (yeah, yeah, I know I've had a lot more years to do it in). But when it comes to technology, I'm a clueless wonder. To me a blackberry is something used to make cobblers and quite decent wine (I've got some in Mason jars right now), and Facebook is a volume laid open for reading.

Still, you were most gracious to try and help someone who is pretty much technologically helpless. Thanks!

Incidentally, if you wonder how I can be so abysmally ignorant and have a web site, it's simple. I provide the words and a webmaster in Missoula, MT does everything else, including all the postings of my free monthly e-newsletter. Should anyone be interested in getting it, all you have to do is go to the web site and sign up. It'll come automatically from that point on, somewhere around the first of each month (that's some shameless promotion, but mayhap the lovely Ms. Paula will let me slip by, and since it's free I don't think I'm intruding much of anywhere).
Jim Casada
Old 09-02-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
How do I send a message to a member?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDuncan View Post
Private messages are disabled from what I can tell. You would have to get their email address, i guess.
they have pm's disabled. You can't do it unless they enable them or email each other.

Quote:
Trip--This will probably have most everyone on this forum chuckling at my ignorance, but I've never been one scared to say "I don't know." When you mention my edit options in my user cp I don't have a clue as to what you mean. What does cp stand for and where does one find edit options?
Beyond that I have no clue as to what a default thread is. Maybe my daughter can show me the next time she visits, and I guarantee my brother would know.

Me, I suspect I've got about as wide-ranging vocabulary as anyone using the forum, I can type 100+ words a minute on a steady basis, and I would virtually guarantee I've read as much as any of you guys and gals (yeah, yeah, I know I've had a lot more years to do it in). But when it comes to technology, I'm a clueless wonder. To me a blackberry is something used to make cobblers and quite decent wine (I've got some in Mason jars right now), and Facebook is a volume laid open for reading.

Still, you were most gracious to try and help someone who is pretty much technologically helpless. Thanks!

Incidentally, if you wonder how I can be so abysmally ignorant and have a web site, it's simple. I provide the words and a webmaster in Missoula, MT does everything else, including all the postings of my free monthly e-newsletter. Should anyone be interested in getting it, all you have to do is go to the web site and sign up. It'll come automatically from that point on, somewhere around the first of each month (that's some shameless promotion, but mayhap the lovely Ms. Paula will let me slip by, and since it's free I don't think I'm intruding much of anywhere).
Jim Casada
LOL, I can help ya out more.

At the top of the page, you will see the LRO header and options. Then you will see the forum options (Home, QLinks, New Posts, Members, then User CP)

Click User CP

Next you will want to click "edit options" on the sidebar:

Then finally you will want to click the drop down tab and select what kind of email notification you want. Instant email will shoot you an email anytime you get a reply.

DON't FORGET TO CLICK SAVE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE TO SAVE YOUR OPTIONS.

Last edited by Trip; 09-02-2010 at 10:35 PM..
Old 09-02-2010, 09:09 PM

Also don't forget to click save at the bottom of that page once you select that option.

If you have any more vbulletin forum questions, I can try to answer them like above, I spend a lot of my time admining several vbulletin forums and doing a lot of custom addon options on them.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:09 AM

Trip--Thanks, and with enough red markings to make me think I was once again grading college students' papers, I do believe I can manage this. I appreciate your being so helpful. Now I'll trouble you (or Paula) with one more question. Why isn't there a spell/grammar checking function? Or maybe there is and I just missed it. While such functions are light years from perfection, they do help (and I'm too lazy to go back and proofread my posts).
Jim Casada
Old 09-03-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Trip--Thanks, and with enough red markings to make me think I was once again grading college students' papers, I do believe I can manage this. I appreciate your being so helpful. Now I'll trouble you (or Paula) with one more question. Why isn't there a spell/grammar checking function? Or maybe there is and I just missed it. While such functions are light years from perfection, they do help (and I'm too lazy to go back and proofread my posts).
Jim Casada
There is, here is another college grading flashback for ya.

I personally prefer a piece of software called Mozilla Firefox. You use it instead of internet explorer or safari depending on your computer. It automatically spell checks anything you type into any website.