Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 07-26-2010, 04:04 AM

Take a pill bottle and put cotton balls in it. Then put vaseline ontop of that. Add a medium size garbage bag and 2 lighters to a vaccum sealed bag. It takes up nearly zero space but, will save your life. My friend and I were hunting last year in the rain and I mean it poured. It was just warm enough to not really snow. I took out my fire starter kit and told my buddy to start breaking tiny twigs from under a standing fir tree. He laughed and said "your no boyscout". I all most didn't get the lighter lit because my hands were so wet. But, In no time flat we were feeding a roaring fire and I told my buddy I needed my merit badge. I was in your shoes once and couldn't get a fire started so I picked up this little tip and it's kept me warm many different times. You could have tried crossing in the dark and maybe even made it. But, why risk your life over one good nights sleep. You done the right thing.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to ZachMatthews

I am not being tongue in cheek here; I am really serious. Was swimming not an option? I don't know the conditions you were facing, but for me the thing to do would have been to go upriver or downriver until I found a slow pool, and then swim across. Even if the river was up somewhat I think it would be crossable, but of course not everyone swims so well, etc. I just had to ask.

That said, I have been stranded myself on the Clinch (water came on, I thought it was a one hour pulse and stayed on the island... about two hours later, despite my vehement yelling that I did not need a rescue and would wait it out, here comes the county's boat and a very amused officer). Of course the Clinch is much bigger water and with the strainer of the weir dam right there, I didn't want to risk a swim.

I swim a lot while angling in summer so maybe I'm just used to it?

Zach
Old 09-01-2010, 01:41 PM

Old habits are hard to break,everytime I go out in the woods or fishing I carry survival gear,something to get a fire going,a compass,a map,a surefire light and something to eat to get some calories and a way to filter water.
As firestarting goes,it's hard to beat flint and steel and charcloth,it's been a proven method for hundreds of years....takes a little practice though.
The only drwaback to this is you have to carry the stuff,but it's not heavy and worth it's weight in gold in an emergency.
Glad you used good sense,crossing swift water at night is risky,no matter what anyone says.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
what a night. couple of nights ago i got stranded on the wrong side of the river. in between elkmont and metcalf i waded across the stream, fell in, wasn't catching any fish and somehow believed i would later on. my gut instinct at the time was to just leave. i should have. the sky was somewhat cloudy but nothing too serious looking overhead. i worked upstream about half a mile or so and suddenly noticed that the water was latte colored. i chugged back to where i originally crossed, i thought, and couldn't see bottom anywhere. 845 pm and i was a little concerned. luckily, i thought at the time, i parked near a bridge so i'll just climb over a boulder and down to the bridge and back to the jeep. wrong. hill was way too steep and slick (recent drizzle, nothing heavy where i was). so i wiggled back down and realized it was pitch dark. and my flashlight quit working. i had nothing but a camera, a fly vest and a fishing pole. and wet clothes. tried for an hour or so but couldn't get any kind of fire going, even with the lighter i had. i had gathered some sticks before my light died and was able to use them as a semi-blanket. so...6 am rolled around and i could finally see stream bottom. waded across easily and made it to work at 11 that morning. i'm never venturing out so unprepared again. no matter how far i go. i slept less than a 100 feet from my ride. what a night....
anyone else got stranded stories?
Man, I hate that you had to endure that...But, some times things like that help you appreciate the smaller things in life. I have been there many times; all that goes through your head is dry clothes, warm bed, and food. Glad you made it out ok and I am sure work was a fun day.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 09-01-2010, 08:25 PM

Thumbs up Good Tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I do the same with a twist.

Ever since I started riding a motorcycle, I bought a big dry erase board and hung it up in the garage. It's good for stuff I need to remember and letting my wife know where I have disappeared to.
Good Tip to share!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 09-03-2010, 02:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

on the north side of the river, past long arm bridge, there are 2 manways which lead to metcalf bottoms....one will take you past the sally moore cemetery....the other is more windy and takes ya up and down and joins the sally moore trail up little brier creek
just a tidbit for wanderers
sam