Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 09-03-2010, 05:45 PM

If I recall t he news story correctly, the man who had to be rescued last year was one of the park's original ridge runners?

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/au...e-with-family/
Old 09-03-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDuncan View Post
If I recall t he news story correctly, the man who had to be rescued last year was one of the park's original ridge runners?

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/au...e-with-family/
NDuncan--Thanks for the link, and I found it quite interesting. Obviously the guy did a number of things right--had food, knew how to get water, did not panic, and once he realized he was in trouble got to a spot and stayed there.

On the other hand, it would appear he did a number of things wrong. There is no mention made of him having key directional and land navigational devices (compass, GPS, or map) or of him having given anyone an exact itinerary. I also question the wisdom of a guy his age going off on a four-day outing on his own, and since I'm close to that age I think I have some perspective in that regard. I wouldn't think of it, although I can and do regularly make one-day trips back of beyond. When I do so I leave precise details of where I'll be. But a guy could break a leg on the first day of a four-day trip and be in far worse trouble than this guy--and at that age, much as I hate to acknowledge it, the chance of falls or missteps are all too real. I stumble in the creek far more than I used to.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 09-03-2010, 06:50 PM

Mr. Casada, how was your brother's trip to Three Forks?
Old 09-03-2010, 07:35 PM

ifish4wildtrout--To quote him in his report, "I was whupped." He had tremendous problems with really thick briers, witch hobble, and rhododendron hells, not to mention making a mistake in follow some surveyor tape along an opening which looked promising. His conclusion, after backtracking to McGee Springs and soaking his feet (briefly) in its icy water, was that this was a trip to be made in late winter or very early spring.

He tought about altering his plan and taking the Right Fork of Three Forks down from McGee Springs to Three Forks, but didn't do it for precisely the reason I posted earlier--it would have been a deviation from his mapped plan.

Jim Casada

P. S. He sent me a photo of his scratched legs. They were something to behold!
Old 09-03-2010, 09:13 PM

Default Three Fork Finagal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Casada View Post
ifish4wildtrout--To quote him in his report, "I was whupped."

Rhodo Shins - those hells will get you every time

I guess he missed the entrance to the Rhodo trunnel on Breakneck. Yikes that sucks.

I told you guys McGee Springs was the way to go, that will be my plan.

I have a hike planned & a paddling (well low water probably more scrapeing and portaging) planned there soon, and will be sure to post a report. Not sure if I'll fish on the hike and def won't on the boating trip
Old 09-04-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Casada View Post
ifish4wildtrout--To quote him in his report, "I was whupped." He had tremendous problems with really thick briers, witch hobble, and rhododendron hells, not to mention making a mistake in follow some surveyor tape along an opening which looked promising. His conclusion, after backtracking to McGee Springs and soaking his feet (briefly) in its icy water, was that this was a trip to be made in late winter or very early spring.

He tought about altering his plan and taking the Right Fork of Three Forks down from McGee Springs to Three Forks, but didn't do it for precisely the reason I posted earlier--it would have been a deviation from his mapped plan.

Jim Casada

Did he fish? Just curious how the fishing was at the elusive Three Forks.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:37 AM

Ifish4wildtrout--No, Don doesn't do much fishing, although he is perfectly capable. Wet wading seems to give him fits, althugh he doesn't think twice about wading streams while he is hiking (such as 18 crossings of Eagle Creek a few weeks back when he hiked from Cades Cove to Fontana Dam, where I picked him up. Covering that much ground in a day, which he did, makes me tired just thinking of it.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutoors.com
Old 09-07-2010, 08:17 AM

I don't go places now,where I used to,either.
I learned backwoods skills and how to find my way around from my grandfather.....but I know my limitations now,and always carry a compass and map when I go to a place I'm not totally familiar with.
Thing is,I see so many people out on trails that have no business being there because they are not prepared at all.....dress shorts,flip flops,and no water is a good sign that if they took a wrong turn,or got a snakebite,things could go down the tube quick.
It's a wonder we don't read about more of them getting lost.
The old guy did stay put and that was what saved him most likely.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
such as 18 crossings of Eagle Creek
If I'm going to cross a creek, I'm going to have my 2 wt. in hand and do some casting for trout.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:07 PM

John--I'm the same way, but my brother loves the hiking side of things and covers an amazing amount of ground (and takes lots of fine photos). He is useful in that he always checks out small tributary streams for trout and duly reports to yours truly.

Snakes have been mentioned several times in this thread, and I would simply point out that on a personal basis, at least, I'm more likely to encounter a poisonous one in my yard than in the Park. This morning, while getting up some trash under a Stayman apple on the lower part of the property (three acres with some woods, a big garden, and lots of grape and scuppernong vines, fruit trees, blueberry bushes, raspberry and thornless blackberry vines, etc.) I noticed movement. Sure enough, it was a cooperhead of 26-28 inches. It' either the fifth or sixth one I've killed on the place, with one of them being scary (pulling weeds by hand and saw movement right at my hand).
As I've said, they don't overly concern me, and this particular one won't concern anyone, except possibly the buzzrds, henceforth.

Jim Casada