Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-05-2010, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBKSTONE2 View Post
I may need to give some of the sow/scuds a try for the Caney. Any recommendations for color and size?
I see you guys have been knocking the midge in here. I have a ton of them, and the fish love them, so why not. Why make life more difficult than it needs to be?

As far as your question, all the bugs I've seen under rocks are probably sz. 20-22, decently wide (thicker than a midge), and grey.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:00 AM

DBKStone2 -

I was thinking about the steps too, and it seems to me the herl needs to be done last, to avoid having the thread show behind the beads. But I was thinking maybe Ice Dub instead of herl, especially since there is no reinforcement for the herl. How's that sound?

sb
Old 09-05-2010, 10:55 AM

Another point that no one is talking about is the lack of weeds this year. The weed beds at Happy in particular are a fraction of what they've been in years past. Silvercreek has an interesting theory on that...

sb
Old 09-05-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonefly View Post
DBKStone2 -

I was thinking about the steps too, and it seems to me the herl needs to be done last, to avoid having the thread show behind the beads. But I was thinking maybe Ice Dub instead of herl, especially since there is no reinforcement for the herl. How's that sound?

sb
I am going to try the other way and experiment with the Ice Dub as well. Figuring out all the ways to skin a cat is half the fun is tying.

Hey!! "Cat fur to make kitten mittens" I wonder how that dubs??
Old 09-05-2010, 09:27 PM

Guys,

Trout see the world from an impressionistic view. You don't need to make the fly very elaborate to get their attention. They can imagine what isn't there such as a shell back on a scud. Make it the right size and color and they will suck it down with reckless abandon.

Said another way, of the fly takes longer than 2 minutes to tie you are tying it for yourself not the fish.........

Oh and use flouro tippet or you are wasting your time..
Old 09-11-2010, 11:48 PM

Rainbow,

I take what I said back. It is very slow on the Caney. I fished the Caney on Friday from 3:00 till 8:00. They did not generate all day (no pulse). I passed several fly fishers on the way out and they said the fishing was S L O W and the bite was on for about an hour 10-11. I went on anyway to the steps. No one was there except a guy I passed at about 400 yrds below the steps. He had no luck so like a sucker I gave him one of my new bugs. He tied it on and caught 2 fish. This is when Murphy's law kicked in. When you give someone a bug and then they proceed to catch fish you are about to be Murphy smacked. We were about 50 yards apart and he yelled thanks and proceeded to leave. Bad luck proceeded from there. The skies opened up and poured for the next 3 hours and I got 5 cell calls from work. The fish never started feeding. Usually I have fantastic luck in the rain. Not Friday. I continued on down past the bluffs to my favorite spot and still no luck. I did manage to fall on the dry river bed at about the apex of my down river travel. The fall was fine its the landing that sucked. I used my knee and hand to absorb most of my fall. My ribs and shoulder took care of the rest.

If you have to fall why doesn't it happen at the **** truck verses the farthest point from it. I know ask Murphy. Like I said the fish never started feeding and I called it a day after seeing (Drum Roll Please) a BANANA PEEL. The good Lord as my witness I had just made a cast on a rock bar and happened to look down and I started to laugh. That guy I had gave a fly to must have had a banana for lunch and left the carcass there. He must have not known about bananas, boats, and fishing. Ask an old timer about the combination of bananas and fishing. They don't mix. Bad JuJu!

After that I just reeled it in and hobbled my crippled bruised butt back to the truck. NO FISH. PLENTY OF SCRAPES and BRUISES. Teach me to duck out of work early.

Last edited by DBKSTONE2; 09-12-2010 at 07:56 PM..
Old 09-12-2010, 10:23 AM

"I gave him one of my new bugs."

We're waiting... (recipe please)
Old 09-12-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
"I gave him one of my new bugs."

We're waiting... (recipe please)
See page one of thread for post.

Fear the banana!
Old 09-12-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBKSTONE2 View Post
See page one of thread for post.

Fear the banana!

Ah! I guess I shouldn't skip ahead Thanks!