Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-15-2010, 05:49 PM

Cool

OK, Gutshot! I know you are not talking us ridge-runnin' hillbillies here in East Tenn ... cause we do (now!) wear socks and Under Armour! Guess we sometimes can't tell the diff in those new-fangled gloves and socks that Woolrich is puttin' on the racks ... oh well, like I said, I know you ain't talking about us East Tenn boyz! Good indicator rig illustration BTW.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
I would like to clear up one gross misstatement. My photos involved a glove and not a sock. While I understand in some parts of Tennessee the wearing of socks and other undergarments is not well received and individuals from these regions have limited undergarment identifying capacity, it was in fact a green glove.

That is all.
Yo got me right on bud. I hate wearing socks and I try to get away from it as much as possible I did give you props on your illustration of your knot. Good Job and thanks for sharing and helping others!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 09-17-2010, 08:12 AM

Try these as indicators. Just thread them on your line and stick a toothpick cut to size in the hole to the depth you want to fish. As you need to change the depth just remove the toothpick and adjust. You can choose which ever color pattern you like the best.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...box.jsp.form23
Old 09-17-2010, 02:33 PM

The toothpick can really damage the line strength, just an FYI.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I really have never been a big fan of the toothpick wedges. The knot I described puts a weak point in your rig; but, I have never had any break. Also, it seams to give me a nice drop in relation to the tippet. I would say it creates almost a 90 degree angle drop in your indicator/float rig and reduces the indicator from dictating the drift. Just some of my observations and why I like it. The key is to just put enough indicator to equate the lift of your midge. Too much and it will be moving your rig all over the place.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 09-17-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Yep, and those indicators have a nasty plop which spooks fish when they hit the water from my experiences, and they cast like crap. To each their own, and if it works for you then have at it.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
The knot I described puts a weak point in your rig; but, I have never had any break.
That is why I posted the pictures. I feel that the connection I showed is the best of both worlds since it is easy to move and I feel does not weaken the line as it will move at the strike and tighten on the indicator which absorbs some of the shock.

I don't like to use it on less than 5x because the incidence of tangles and breakoffs goes up, but I fished it for a long time using 6x and caught thousands of fish. I just found if I extended the 5x out and only ran fluorocarbon after the indicator in 6,7, or 8x that my landing success on larger fish increased several percentage points, and more importantly I lost a lot fewer flies.