Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-13-2010, 02:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite
Default chilhowie trout

I have caught tons of rainbows in Chilhowie but never a brown or a laker. In fact I have yet to see anything other than rainbows in the lake. I got fausly excited last year when I met a guy at the abrams launch who said he had a lake trout in his livewell, however when I looked at the fish it was obviously a rainbow. He thought because it had white tipped fins it was a definite lake trout, but as wek know alot of our bows have white tipped fins... So the question stands have any of you ever caught a brown or lake trout from chilhowie? Do they still exist?
Old 09-13-2010, 04:08 PM

here's a thread from march of this year:

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...ad.php?t=13676
Old 09-13-2010, 04:50 PM

yeah, I read that post last year... Noy a whole alot of info on lake trout or browns...
Old 09-15-2010, 08:49 PM

I just bought my first boat, an older bass boat and I absolutely love Chilhowee lake. Can anybody tell me how to catch some of those rainbows? I do not want to chuck powerbait or corn like the locals have told me to do. How do you guys catch them? Are they mostly stocked or are some of them streambread? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have never caught a trout out of a lake!
Old 09-15-2010, 09:41 PM

2weight, you may already know this, but lake trout tend to feed in schools very deep, especially in the warmer months. Your best bet for catching one is to jig a spoon in the deepest part of the lake. It's best to have a depth finder that will mark suspended fish, because sometimes you can find a school of them randomly suspended 20-30 feet off the bottom.

I'm sure its been done, but I'd say for the most effective lake trout fishing, the fly rod isn't the way to go.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:10 PM

2 weight, I've got friends that fish Chilhowee and Calderwood religiously. I know of some browns being caught in Chilhowee, but not lakers. Most of the friends that I have that fish Chilhowee, troll the scum lines with Rapalas to catch browns, but they mostly catch rainbows. I've heard of lakers being caught in Calderwood, but I've not seen anything first hand, or even a picture. I do have a picture that was sent to me this spring of a big trout, but I believe it to be a big brown...real big brown. It was dredged out of deep water and has little color to it, but it has a straight tail and the typical pattern of a brown trout.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:26 AM

Browns are there. Just few and far between. My dad and I have a "honey" hole where we like to fish on Chilhowee but, getting that info would be like squeezing blood from a turnip.

I can't find the picture but, I have caught several "true blue" Lake trout from Chilhowee. Most come from the upper end and 2 were caught in the shallows just below the "Finger island" below the power house. I took a friend to the power house for a day of smallie fishing (5-6 inch live yellow Perch) when he caught a 4 lb brown. I also caught a very large brown (didn't weigh or measure it) on a 4 3/4 inch Huskey Jerk walleye fishing at the power house. I've caught many more browns above the islands but, mostly on Rapals. Best time for me on the browns is early morning/late evening or a rainy misserable day when there is only 1 turbin running.

Your "mystical" lakers ie.. lake run Rainbows are caught on a streamer pattern from LRO. It is a hard body streamer with a gray tail about 1.5 inches long. It is greenish on top and gray on the bottom. Find a "wolf pack" of (in my opinion they are more like steelhead from what I read about them) rainbows working a school of shad. Get in as close as you dare and keep your fly off the water until you know your over the feeding fish and then LIGHTLY drop it in there. Strip it acouple times and hang on. These fish will come FEET out of the water and that heavy body flipping threw the air is something to feel. I took an average one year (spinner caught fish) and my average bow was over a lb. Many in the 2-3 lb range. If you can't find but, a few feeding on shad follow them and place the above fly 6 inches infront of their face. They WILL NOT turn around to eat your streamer. I don't know why. A great place to "wall em up" is where the cold water meets the warm water. The shad will avoid going into the cold water at all costs.

Early in the morning after the turbins have run all night there is a "trash" line. You can set there for a good while drowning a june bug pattern and catch a few. I chunk a streamer in the trash line and do some good too. This is the ONLY time I blind cast to the trout on Chilhowee. Trial and error has proven it time and again your only waisting your time unless you can see the fish up there.

If you have a boat and good trolling motor wait until they have a turbin or two on and run RIGHT up to the power house and fish the left hand side. Strip a streamer pattern and you should be able to catch some bows. Your bigger bows come from down the lake thou.

There are some nice Brookies in Chilhowee as well. Not near as many as in Calderwood thou. Calderwood is a whole new monster to tackle.

Here ya go. Found the picture. This is a REAL Chilhowee Lake Trout.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:00 AM

awesome info and pics, and Thank you very much for posting them. I knew someone had to have some info on the subject. I had nver known there were brookies in that lake... Like I had said before all I have ever caught up there were rainbows, but I definitely need to go up and fish below the powerhouse. It sounds like Im fishing too far down the lake. I might give it a try here soon, and if I have any luck Ill post some pics!