Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-22-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnapp View Post
I just happened to be dressed in ranger-like colors one day while fishing the North River --- dark olive shorts, khaki shirt and a dark olive cap that had a light brown arrowhead patch in front. Happened on a couple of fellows fishing bait back in the heather, and when they saw me, they did some high-steppin' outta there!
psnapp-

Great story! Glad you scared the crap out of those meat hunters. Somebody should!

Maybe we should all dress in those colors, and call ourselves The Ranger Auxilliary (spelling?). Why not? I think we have a responsibility to report such blatant violations. The word will get around quick, I guarantee.

Bill
Old 09-22-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckytroutbum View Post
psnapp-

Great story! Glad you scared the crap out of those meat hunters. Somebody should!

Maybe we should all dress in those colors, and call ourselves The Ranger Auxilliary (spelling?). Why not? I think we have a responsibility to report such blatant violations. The word will get around quick, I guarantee.

Bill
Yeah. and take pictures of their vehicles and license plates and even perpetrators (if safely possible) or at least compile a list of written descriptions and post them on a thread here so others will know who to be on the lookout for. I don't think it would probably be wise to attempt a citizen's arrest, or even confront some of them too directly, but this story shows there are options, and we may not win every one, but hopefully can make an overall difference.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:08 PM

Nduncan-

You're right in that we can quietly take photos, descriptions, license plates, etc. and turn that over to the enforcement agencies. And yes, you don't want to be confrontational with them. No sense letting them know that we're documenting what they're doing. Ya gotta be "cool" about it. Seems like, when I run into people such as this, there is 2 of them, and 1 of me. Not good odds in my book!

To me, these guys are poaching, and as such, are stealing. They're stealing from you and me, and everyone else who loves the outdoors, and thus live to chase trout in a clear mountain stream or tailwater with only the noise of the wind and rushing water.

Posting on this Forum is a great idea, maybe we can all watch out for these people, and help the rangers build a iron clad case. They may not get any jail time, but hitting them in the wallet with a stiff fine will get their attention.

Bill
Old 09-22-2010, 09:13 PM

I know corn works on fresh-from-the-hatchery-truck stockers, but wild trout?

I like the idea of the khaki ranger look-alike outfit - I am definitely gonna wear similar on my trip this Oct to Nantahala for delayed harvest catching. Last time I was there, several of our "guests" from south of the border were carrying a sheet rock bucket full of trout up the bank to their van.
OTOH, maybe I need to see what kind of uniform INS agents wear.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckytroutbum View Post
Nduncan-

You're right in that we can quietly take photos, descriptions, license plates, etc. and turn that over to the enforcement agencies.

Posting on this Forum is a great idea, maybe we can all watch out for these people, and help the rangers build a iron clad case.
I agree with you, Bill. Honest, law-abiding citizens need to be involved in protecting OUR resources just as much as anyone when the opportunity presents itself. Your (and others) post above is great, but not often the case in real life.
I wear a badge and firearm for a living. I've had numerous honest citizens report illegal activities that they have witnessed, which was fantastic. Then when law enforcement acts upon this witnessed information, if an arrest/charge is made and the case goes to court, the defendant, by law, has the right to cross examine any witnesses against him/her. Suddenly, many of those who witnessed and reported the crime(s) suddenly dont want to "get involved" and go to court to testify. Photographs, license plates numbers recorded, etc, etc, are great but in court, the witness who took those photo's and/or other info is often required to be present if the defendant requests a trial. Without the witness and author of the info, these type cases are often dismissed. Often, the reporter of info means well, but obviously their convictions of helping protect our resources/properties, etc, are not as strong as they wanted to believe they were. Just being honest. The Rangers within our Parks cannot be everywhere and often depend on honest citizens to give valuable info to help concentrate their efforts in areas that need a watchful eye the most. If law-abiding sportsmen feel the conviction to take photo's, license plates, etc and report poaching to the Rangers, be prepared to follow the incident all the way through to the end!
I'm sure most honest sportsmen like you guys will follow through and aide the Rangers in the Park (or any law enforcement officer) to the best of your abilities. I dont mean to imply otherwise, but there are indeed plenty of other folks who just dont want the hassle of seeing a poacher prosecuted all the way to a conviction in court.
Mark 1:17
Old 09-23-2010, 10:57 AM

DarrinG-

Thanks for your "dose of reality." I know that to be true. I shot USPSA/IPSC matches for over 12 years, and was on the board of the club. A significant number of our members were police officers from the local level all the way up to federal Secret Service agents. After a match, we would go to a restaurant for food & drinks, and I would listen to the police officers talk "shop." They would do all of this hard work to bring the perpetrators to justice, only to have the witness not show up, or end up with a very lenient jury and/or judge. Its got to be frustrating!

If I'm out fishing or hunting, I make it a point to go up and talk to the game wardens, or rangers. I always thank them for being out there checking licenses, creel limits, or game bags. Letting them know that they are appreciated goes along way with them. Alot of times, they have given me some good tips on where to go to chase my game or fish.

Back to your original point, Citizen Apathy is a big part of the problem. If more people were willing to get involved, hopefully there would be less problems such as you face. Perhaps we, as citizens, need to draw a "line in the sand," and say enough is enough. Reporting poachers is one way to do that. IMHO.

Bill

Last edited by kentuckytroutbum; 09-23-2010 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 09-23-2010, 01:00 PM

The phone number I have for Park Ranger enforcement is 865 436-1230. For a NC game warden call 800 662-7137.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:41 AM

"Would you make the call and turn them in?" The only questions that come to mind are: " Are you sure it was bait for fishing( whether corn or worms or whatever)" - and, if so -
"Why would you not turn them in?"

Poachers are as bad as thieves. In fact, come to think of it - they are thieves.

Kentucky, as for your worry about there always being 2 of them and one of you, Mr. Glock can even the odds. That said, I agree that confronting the poachers is the wrong way to go if you can avoid them. Just call it in and let the good guys come and get 'em.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:22 AM

Owl: I know I did the right thing and felt very good about it when talking with the ranger, I felt even better after finding out that they were caught and ticketed. I was just checking to see what everyones take was, I am sure that Mark observed them using bait and it was rather obvious what they were going to do when I spotted them. I am pretty sure that possesion of illegal bait and lures is enough to warrant a ticket in the park if a ranger was so minded to ticket for it.

I have found worm containers in the backcountry and even off trail above Gatlinburg and in the Little River area.

Vincent
Old 09-24-2010, 06:28 PM

Owl -- will never forget the Flicker and myself meeting up with you and your wife on the Nan! It was a real pleasure for me.

Jeff, I have never confronted you, but I will on this one. Packing Mr. Glock on a fishing trip is just not a reasonable way to deal with poachers, at least not for me. I have gotten myself in a couple of awkward situations back in the wilds but having Mr. Glock at my side would not have been advisable. I have never taken him with me and never will. If things ever get to the point that I feel like I really need Mr. Glock's assistance on a fishing trip, then I will not frequent that stream again, or I will just start fishing the Cross-Eyed Cricket on Sunday afternoons. Life is just too short for me to resort to carrying heat on a fishing trip!

Phil