Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-09-2010, 11:42 AM

I can remember a sign next to the tributary that enters Walkers Camp Prong just above the loop .... it was a wooden Park sign with the name Trout Branch or Trout Creek...there was also a huge maple tree that turned bright red at that point every fall...sadly neight one is there now...would guess a snow plow put an end to the sign and a lack of funds or desire took care of a replacement.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:18 PM

I just wanted to express my opinion on this controversial topic. I firmly believe that posting small stream names has little, if any, impact of fishing quality. As previously stated, all the fisheries biologists that I have talked with state that angler pressure has little, if any impact on fish density. Steve Moore actually encouraged me to keep some brook trout occasionally as they tend to overpopulate a stream and stunt their growth. I also believe that we need all the anglers we can get to continue our sport as new angler numbers are steadily declining. If someone goes out and catches a good number of fish, they are more likely to continue fishing and even pass it on to others. We need all the numbers we can get, particularly for conservation and political reasons, as our hunting and fishing activities come under increasing fire from numerous factions. I also believe that there just aren't that many people who get excited about working your butt off climbing, scraping, and grunting around to catch a few 5" fish. For those of us who do, a little comaraderie is nice (less questioning of my own sanity). Finally, as much as I do like Byron's message board here, the overall numbers of people who read it are not that big in perspective of the 9 million park visitors each year, and even fewer readers have the time to visit the park regularly for serious fishing on a frequent basis ( I know I don't). Overall, I think much more good comes from helping fellow anglers and encouraging new ones, than from hiding our best resources. I'm afraid that eventually there won't be anyone to fish them at all if we are too secretive.
Sincerely,
Jedidiah Green
Old 09-18-2010, 01:43 PM

Jedidiah,

I agree with you for the most part, especially on the smaller streams in the Park. There are numerous books and maps on fishing in the Smokies. I own a great deal of them myself. Things have changed on the forum, people used to share information regularly, but that is not the case much nowadays. Funny thing is, when I go to the Park there are just as many fisherman as before IMO and I have been fishing the Park on a pretty regular basis since the late 90's. To be honest, my biggest issue is people always mentioning the same streams when telling a newbie a place to fish. For instance, if someone is looking for Brookie water, 9 times out of 10 they will mention one or both of the following streams: Road Prong or Sams Creek. I don't fish these streams much as a result, unless you go during the week and at first light it can be difficult to get the jump on these streams. I predict Lynn Camp will be the same way when it opens back up to fishing. Lynn Camp was one of my favorite streams before the restoration project, and usually wasn't that crowded, especially during the week. Once it reopens, I'd be willing to bet it goes onto the highly recommended list for brookie fishing with Sams and Road Prong. It will become a zoo up there IMO since it is easily accessible, etc.

Things have have changed over the last few years, new people, different attitudes, I'll admit I have gotten a little burned out on the forum thing, too many issues crop up when one is simply trying to have a discussion on flyfishing or other topics.

I am no expert on fishing in the Smokies, but I have fished the majority of the major and some lesser known streams as well. Drop me an email if you like and I'll be glad to help you out.

Neal
pineman19@yahoo.com
Old 09-19-2010, 02:56 AM

" I firmly believe that posting small stream names has little, if any, impact of fishing quality. As previously stated, all the fisheries biologists that I have talked with state that angler pressure has little, if any impact on fish density. "

I'm not sure you're thinking about it like a fisherman would. It's not the effect on the fish populations - although posting a good stream on the internet can lead to worn banks and trails, and more trash along your favorite streams - I think the main concern, at least for me is that on the morning I get to my favorite little small stream, I have to deal with "angler pressure." That is, the "pressure" I feel knowing that the fellow that was driving that still warm car I just parked beside, is probably standing in the creek already and working his way up through it - either catching or spooking all the trout along the way.

Not posting small stream names isn't as much about keeping the stream a secret to protect the trout, as it is about keeping 30 people from ending up there the next free Saturday you have to fish it.

If you post up that the 'luftee is a great trout stream ( which it is) there's no harm there. It's roadside and people already fish it pretty hard - and more importantly there's alot of trail and road access to use. However, if I were to post up my favorite small stream in Georgia for example and even one person got there before me next weekend, I would do just as well to find somewhere else to fish, because it's a stream that comes in from the non-road side of the main creek and there's only one way to fish it - and that is straight up the creek bed. On a small, under-fished creek like that it only takes one fisherman a weekend to make fishing elsewhere a pretty good idea.

I hope this makes sense, but to the big river, roadside crowd it will probably never make sense. Not until you tell a few folks about a great new stream you just fished and go back there in a couple of weeks for another great day only to find out you're not alone anymore on "your" creek.

Fishing a small stream is totally different from standing among friends in the Tuckaseegee and I think that's why most small stream anglers would rather not see their favorite stream's name posted all over the internet.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:20 PM

I'm so secretive I blind fold myself on the way to the stream If I take someone with me to one of my secret spots, I make them swear an oath on a dead indian chief's grave, at midnight, under a full moon, while murdering a chicken that they will never divulge the location.

Last edited by flyman; 09-19-2010 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: 42
Old 09-19-2010, 04:24 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyman View Post
I'm so secretive I blind fold myself on the way to the stream If I take someone with me to one of my secret spots, I make them swear an oath on a dead indian chief's grave, at midnight, under a full moon, while murdering a chicken that they will never divulge the location.
My wife's Boss (who is on this fourm) chases the Big Browns. He was telling my wife that he could easily put me on one a year or so back (why I can't figure this out myself), but she said don't be surprised if he want to blindfold you on the drive there. She was dead serious

While I have no problem posting all stream names, I always respect the wishes of those taking me to place I am unfamiliar with, and don't post then if it's for nothing more than common courtesy. By the same token I think it's common courtesy to pass on info to newbies that will help them "get hooked" on fishing

As for the Brookie recomendations, I thought people here were pretty hush hush about Sam's ( I know I have gotten plenty of flack on naming that one), and while the fish may be better educated (more fisherman) on Road Prong. One could hardly go wrong there during the right times of year
Old 09-19-2010, 06:23 PM

I have a spot on a local river that was shown to me that I will never tell where it is (unless you are a fisherman and in my family or the family of the guy that showed it to me). If you want to go (huge amount of private land right on the river that is available for public use), you WILL wear a blindfold and I ain't jokin'! I think it's good to keep some spots/techniques private and share with just a few people. It keeps a few places fresh and unspoiled. I've never been to this spot and seen another fisherman, though I have seen evidence that they've been there. I fully expect to go one day and give a nod to a fellow/lady with that look in each others eye of "don't say a word to noone else!"
Old 09-19-2010, 09:52 PM

I understand the "angler pressure" perspective on the subject. Seems to me that becomes a free speech issue in that, if you don't want someone else to know about your favorite spot, then you don't tell anyone. If someone else does want to mention it, then that also is their perrogative. I still doubt your chances of "ruining" it for someone else are very high with the abundance of water in GSMNP. To me it comes down to how each individual wants to handle it, not necessarily a mandated decision. I guess I'm a little too libertarian on some topics (that should get a fight started
Sincerely,
Jedidiah
Old 09-22-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineman19 View Post

...To be honest, my biggest issue is people always mentioning the same streams when telling a newbie a place to fish. For instance, if someone is looking for Brookie water, 9 times out of 10 they will mention one or both of the following streams:... Road Prong or Sams Creek...

Neal
pineman19@yahoo.com
I'm with you Neal. Please see post #6 in the thread Remote Smoky Mountains Brook Trout Waters.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyman View Post

Now THAT is protecting your home water!