Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-23-2010, 02:11 PM

Default Ok next question

We will be staying between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg when we come up there in the Sky Harbor area. I have been trying to decide the best way to get to Lake Chilhowee for a day of fun. I feel like it would be best to go on into Gatlinburg and hit Little River road through the park and come out in Townsend and then go down the foothills parkway instead of trying to fight all the traffic back through Pigeon Forge and Wears Valley. I know on the weekend of October 15th will be very congested up there with traffic. That is why I am asking so that I can spend most of my time out on the water instead of stuck in traffic. I appreciate any help you will give me.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:38 PM

Default 6 one way 1/2 dozen the other

You can't get there from here

Really traffic will be bad either way. Why Chilhowie Lake? Taking a boat? If not, I personally would hit better spots closer to where you will be staying to avoid stress in driving more than fishing.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
You can't get there from here

Really traffic will be bad either way. Why Chilhowie Lake? Taking a boat? If not, I personally would hit better spots closer to where you will be staying to avoid stress in driving more than fishing.

Well the main reason I am going is not to fish but to take my wife and two daughters kayaking. I do not want to kayak through any rapids. I don't think that would be very safe. I mean we all can swim great but were just not into that. I just like to paddle flatwater and this lake is the only place I know anywhere around there that I can do this. We will have our own kayaks and we could go anywhere. But everyone is telliung me to go to Lake Chilhowie. If you have a better idea I am all ears. Because I do not know a whole lot about it up there. I have been several times. But I have really never looked for a place to kayak. I have alway just walked to where ever I wanted to fish at. So if you know somewhere that will be just as good and without rapids to have to cross please tell me. I am not really worried about fishing that much. I mean I love to fish and I do this all the time at home. But I am mostly wanting to make the trip the most enjoyable that I can for my girls. I have finally got them interested in doing something that I like to do instead of going to them stinking old shopping malls.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:27 PM

Default Keep them interested

Douglas Lake. Google map it. It's ALOT closer than Chilhowee. Lots of public places to put in. They are also drawing it down, and there's some interesting things to find on the lake bottom.

My posts are worthless without pictures
Old 09-23-2010, 09:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

chillhowie is one of the most beautiful lakes you will ever see. Crystal clear water, peace, very few people, in a mountain setting. Douglass will be crowded with pleasure and bass boats, has a green tint to the water, and doesn t have the backdrop and serenity that chilhowie has...
Old 09-24-2010, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weightfavorite View Post
chillhowie is one of the most beautiful lakes you will ever see. Crystal clear water, peace, very few people, in a mountain setting. Douglass will be crowded with pleasure and bass boats, has a green tint to the water, and doesn t have the backdrop and serenity that chilhowie has...

That is what I have heard. That is the main reason I wanted to go to Lake Chillhowie. I think that it will be worth fighting the traffic. I have seen pictures on the internet of both of them. I am sure looking forward to going to see it.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:43 AM

wears valley rd pigeon forge to townsend best route.