Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 09-25-2010, 06:55 AM

Well said Owl.......I have seen it happen on several streams, more so since Al Gore invented the internet.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:15 AM

Hey Jeff.....good to hear from you. I hope all is well.

Back on topic.....

The irony of this whole subject... Five (5) years from now the "newer" folks that benefited from the hotspotting of small streams will be the one's complaining about the naming of streams on the ,net.

There are more than a few campsites in the Park that I have recently crossed off my list due to trash and such....that at one time were beautiful areas.

I remember when I began fishing the Park...over 30 years ago....the first thing I did was order ALL of the USGS quads of the Park. There were about 12 of them if I recall. I also ordered a 1st edition copy of Don Kirk's guide book. Still have them. I'd study those maps for hours at a time....mapping out my next trip to likely looking spots. I can't explain the euphoric feeling you experience when you hike a few miles to a place that you previously knew as a spot on a map. The area is breathtakingly beautiful and as a bonus "you catch fish!" What happened to those days where fishermen had the initiative to do the time-consuming requisite preparation?? I realize times have changed and the younger video game, facebook generation has a need for instant gratification. I guess I'm still Old School and maybe that's my hangup.

This topic is kind of like a discussion on politics or religion. You can debate till you are blue in the face, but at the end of the day nothing has changed. You just have to find things out for yourself.

Ya'll catch a few this wekend...looks like great weather to get out. Me? I've got to paint the kitchen :-(
Old 09-25-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl View Post
Mock the old folks all you like, but remember us when you pass a dozen people with fishing rods while hiking into your "special" small creek someday and wonder why it doesn't seem as special as you remember it.
Owl,

I am not exactly young myself, the man is just trying to inject a little humor into the thread. Part of the problem with these forums is that people takes things way too seriously, flaming begins when people disagree on an issue. The fact is that this forum does not have a policy regarding naming streams. If people wish disclose stream names, that's there prerogative and IMO it's wrong IMO other posters flame them for naming a stream as long as they are within the forum rules. I don't name streams much anymore for my own reasons, but if some people want to behave like moderators I'll be more than happy to go against the grain. I read some of these posts, and some people think they are the only only ones to walk a few miles to a stream. I have walked up to 14 miles in a day to fish a small stream. I have been burned as well after walking a good ways to find someone else on that stream. As the saying go, sheet happens, I had to find another place to fish, there are usually other options.

The fact that people solely blame internet forums for the overcrowding of a certain stream is hilarious. Books all over the place on streams, topo maps, etc. and it's all some posters fault for a stream being overrun.

The streams in the Smokies belong to all Americans and they are entitled to fish them just as much as anyone on this forum.

Have a great weekend, catch some fish, I'll try to do the same

Neal
Old 09-25-2010, 04:25 PM

Owl, Any others,

I really was just trying to lighten the mood by joking about it. I certainly don't want anyone to think I don't respect their position and understand why they hold it, even if I don't whole-heartly embrace it. I think there has to be a delicate balance in the way info is passed out. As pineman has pointed out, nothing was disclosed that isn't published in books. And maybe that's kind of a difference, since a book is a lot harder to pinpoint specific information because there's no 'search' function . And I know some are more protective of water outside the park, such as in the National Forests, because unlike the park, the streams haven't been thoroughly documented and published elsewhere.

At any rate, I don't want to argue about it, so I was just making fun of the situation. It doesn't mean I was mocking or attacking people, just trying to lighten the atmosphere. So know that while I may disagree with you to one extent or another, I still respect you and your right to have a different opinion than mine.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFred View Post
Streams? What streams!?!
JF
LOL Sweet!
Old 09-25-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineman19 View Post
Owl,
.....The fact that people solely blame internet forums for the overcrowding of a certain stream is hilarious.
Glad we could provide a laugh.

Quote:
Books all over the place on streams, topo maps, etc......
Folks have been pimpin' guidebooks and maps about the Park for years....no problem with that...still requires more effort than the 'net. At least you might break a sweat going to the bookstore.

Quote:
....The streams in the Smokies belong to all Americans and they are entitled to fish them just as much as anyone on this forum.
Neal
Now that's deep.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:30 PM

Drifter,

Thanks for taking my post with respect. I'll be sure to grace your presence in the same manner in the future.

Carry on, that's what it's all about

Neal
Old 09-26-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
Ben,

I believe the results of the brookie rehab project can be found online...I seem to remember seeing the report on a government website...but for the life of me I can't remember where....
Drifter, if you'll e-mail me at fredturner @ saintclairmapping . com I can provide you some NPS links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
Hey Jeff.....good to hear from you. I hope all is well.

I remember when I began fishing the Park...over 30 years ago....the first thing I did was order ALL of the USGS quads of the Park. There were about 12 of them if I recall. I also ordered a 1st edition copy of Don Kirk's guide book. ...

Ya'll catch a few this wekend...looks like great weather to get out. Me? I've got to paint the kitchen :-(
My first book on fishing the park was Don's. It got me started fishing some new streams and putting together just a list of streams that he mentioned, but did not show on his maps, just for my personal use. The second book I got was Jimmy Jacobs' which didn't cover as many streams, but did show more details in his maps. From it I found some new streams I enjoy fishing still. The third book was one by H. Lea Lawrence. In the very back of it is a fairly detailed pull-out map and list of 36 streams (or portions of them) classified at the time of printing as Restricted Waters....just sayin'. Granted, the net did come into play in that I learned of and ordered Lawerence's book online. Although they have been invaluable to me, I am not pushing these books, and I have since learned from reliable sources that not all these authors got all their information from personal experiences. This is understandable since there are "so many prongs, so little 'tine'." (I'm on the dark side of Medicare elligibility.)

I have since added to my modest library: Jim's great book and Ian's & Charity's very useful park fishing books and map.

On a more important issue, I hope the kitchen turned out well. I'm in the midst of painting and reflooring a bathroom. Straddling and waddling the commode out of it put me in mind of crawling though rhoddies. My wife thinks the bathroom project will be far more rewarding than fishing.

JF

Last edited by JoeFred; 09-28-2010 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: Addded note about Jim's and Ian's books.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:01 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight

A hotspot to me is anyplace I can lay my fly. Sure it sucks shadow fishing morons who slap line all over the surface but hey we all had to learn somewhere. I still remember Ray Ball telling me it was a sin using my fly rod the way I was. He gave me a couple of pointers so to speak. Who cares who posts what I'll be sure and next time I go to take pictures of the stream I'm on and see who guesses where I am first. I think you could put 5 people on the same body of water all on different days and have different results.

I have caught one brook trout in the park whoopie whats the big deal? can't we just all get along?
Old 09-27-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
The streams in the Smokies belong to all Americans and they are entitled to fish them just as much as anyone on this forum.
I think this statement pretty well sums up the entire debate.