Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 09-24-2010, 02:01 PM

Default Recommendation needed

Try not to make too much fun of me here. I'm taking a backcountry trip in Oct. with some friends. Our plans are to go to Sawdust pile as 83 and 84 are closed. Some of the guys I am going with are not in good shape and have carts as opposed to strapping on a pack and walking (bad back, strained uterus, etc.). My question is: if for some reason Sawdust pile gets closed between now and then, what are some other possible sites that a person with a cart could get to on the NC side? I've looked at the fish camp spreadsheet and so I have an idea of elevation etc., but I don't have experience with the other creeks so don't know about the trails (i.e., is it wide enough, too rocky etc.) for Eagle, Forney, Noland etc. Thx in advance.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:07 PM

Lexfly--You would still have one option on Hazel Creek, and it's the one most of the outfitters use, the lower Hazel Creek campsite (the name is Proctor but I don't know the number). On Noland Creek, the Bear Pen Branch campsite (which isn't actually on Bear Pen Branch) is only a mile or so from the trailhead/parking lot). There's a bit of a climb right at the start, although nothing particularly bad, and you are walking in a gravel road. Getting to Forney Creek would be an issue (no shuttle and a longish way from any commercial boat dock), but if you have boats I would actually recommend it. Either of the two lower campsites should work (Lower Forney or the old CCC camp).
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 09-24-2010, 04:46 PM

Jim,
Thanks for the info. As always you are a fountain of information. We have a boat, but I don't know that I could convince my friend to leave it at the mouth of Forney creek. I learned to fly fish on Noland and Deep Creek (on summer vacation with my father) but have not been back to in several years so couldn't recall what the trail was like. Noland will probably be the destination if we are unable to go to Hazel. I don't really want to stay at the lake with the outfitters. I prefer the solitude. Maybe having the 2 sites closed on Hazel will be a good thing. thanks again.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:54 PM

If you have the boat, what about moving over one stream the other way and hit eagle creek? I haven't been there, but you could possibly stay at 90 which looks to be close to the lake without having to carry your gear far, or move in a little ways to 89 (which unlike 90 doesn't allow horses), but since it is not a horse trail, I don't think you could get the carts up there. I think Jim's book he says that it doesn't receive a whole lot of pressure...which may be good for the solitude factor. But, in Oct you may get to hit the lake run trout coming into Eagle creek.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:10 PM

Eagle would be my first preference, in fact that is where I wanted to go instead of Hazel, but being with friends is important too so I can do that another time. I'd rather get away from the lake on Hazel than be next to the lake on Eagle. Anyway about it, I will be in the mountains in a couple weeks and as always I really can't think about anything else.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:12 PM

Don't forget that the lake levels are dropping and there might be a bit of a climb to the trailhead. The banks will probably be a little muddy as well. Nothing like trying to drag a bunch of gear up hill through red clay.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 09-27-2010, 05:35 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexfly View Post
(bad back, strained uterus, etc.).
WTF is a strained uterus?
Old 09-27-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlight View Post
WTF is a strained uterus?
Something you pick up in the monroe county jail I think

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...

Last edited by Crockett; 09-27-2010 at 09:40 PM..
Old 09-30-2010, 01:22 PM

Default Strained uterus

I was just making a not so subtle jab at my friend who doesn't want to put a pack on his back and walk by suggesting he has girl parts.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:22 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight

Too funny....