Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 09-27-2010, 08:34 PM

Default Cranberry River WV 9/16 til 9/19

A little background, 50plus, a little out of shape (no, alot of out of shape.) and not picked up a pack for over 30 years. What is this stuff with a frame on the inside of a pack? This is a shakedown of equipment for a trip to the North Platte next year. (I think my partner is just shaking me down to see if can make it.) Took off at trailhead at 10AM got to second shelter at 12PM, set up camp and headed out to the catch and release fishing. It has not rained around here in like a year or so the fishing is a bust. After a dinner of nasty freeze dried food with a healthy combo of Merlot, it is bedtime.Breakfast of the same, except the Merlot, we need to just try our local grocery store next time. We did find it great that after we returned to the truck that we had made it 16 miles during our trip. Not bad, for a couple out of shape, over fifty, fat guys.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:09 PM

Sounds like you had a good time despite the fishing. I was in that area back in the spring. I hiked in through the Cranberry Wilderness on the Forks of the Cranberry trail and camped just downstream from the forks shelter. You could deffinitely tell that it was a wilderness area trail. It was hardly blazed and not at all maintained. I was up and down over fallen trees the whole time. The scenery diversity along the trail was well worth the hike.

It is a beautiful river. It rained almost every day while I was there, which sounds like the opposite of what you had to deal with. I was far enough up river that despite heavy rains almost every day, the river would drop out fairly quickly and I got in a little fishing. I have to say I have never seen so many bugs on a freestone stream as what I saw there. What little fishing I did get to do was great.