Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 10-06-2010, 12:21 PM

Default Davidson River advice.....

Planning on running over to NC on Nov.6-7 for the WNC convention, taking a coworker with me so he can check out some equipment. Would like to fish the Davidson while we are there. So what do you guys suggest as far as tippet size and flies?

Thanks, Shannon
Old 10-06-2010, 03:28 PM

Lee Whitehead (Troutslayer3393 here on the forum) and I will probably be up on the Davidson that Saturday before we're scheduled to demonstrate at the expo Sunday afternoon. November is always a great month to fish the Davidson. The water will likely be low, so I would stick with the lightest tippet you feel comfortable using. Generally, a 6x-7x tippet should do the trick. Keep the leader long. A 9 ft leader is the absolute shortest you should go. 12-14 ft, while it sounds ridiculously long, will serve you well. As far as flies go, tiny midges (#24-32) will work well. Small para BWO's in #18-24 also work well during the colder months. You'll have to force feed them though. Especially when it get cold. Still, consistency is probably the number one skill an angler who ventures to the "Big D" can have. Keep at it and you should do well. These fish are extremely educated.

Good luck!

Tyler
Old 10-06-2010, 08:03 PM

Thanks Tyler, that is the exact info I was looking for, I can find the rest out with a few searches.

I've read it isn't easy, but dang the pics. of those fish! Figured I should try it out once anyways.

Thanks man!
Old 10-06-2010, 09:21 PM

Delayed harvest will be in full swing in NC then. North Mills will be full of fish the first week of Nov and it's only 10 min from the expo East Fork of the French Broad is another good choice. I've heard the fish are bigger and more plentiful than ever in the DH this year.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:00 PM

Like flyman said, the DH waters are looking good! If the Davidson isn't treating you well, hope over to the East Fork, Tuck DH, or North Mills. NCWRC has really been stocking some brutes in the past year or two! Saw some 24"+ rainbows last year... and the DH fish are pretty much the equivalent of Ernest P. Worrell on 3 bottles of Nyquil. Much dumber than the fish on the D!
Old 10-07-2010, 08:32 AM

Will do...... thanks again guys on the replies.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:22 PM

my cousin who lives in Asheville just told me the North Mills was fishing great...I'm hoping I can make it out there soon...
Old 10-18-2010, 03:10 PM

Yeah, the North Mills is fishing well. I haven't fished it yet this year, but according to recent reports it's on fire. The NCWRC has stocked dramatically larger fish this year. The N. Mills was stocked with some whoppers.