Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fisheries Management & Biology

Old 11-02-2010, 05:29 PM

Default Tennessee Hunt/Fish Amendment Vote???

Ok, so I voted today, and saw the small proposed amendment to the Tennessee Constitution regarding Hunting and Fishing. I have seen a couple of articles in our local (Chattanooga) paper, and on several on-line news sites about this. However, in reading it I still could not reasonably figure out WHY this needs to be added, and I am a high school US History/Government teacher!! I get what it means, I just don't know why we need to add this to our state Constitution. I figured someone on here would know. So I pose this question to you all.....why is this needed? If this is voted down, does that change anything for Hunters/Fishers in TN? And, what is the reason this was proposed in the first place? Thanks in advance for your replies....

Mr. Todd Grainger
Chattanooga, TN
East Hamilton High School
Old 11-02-2010, 05:50 PM

My take on this: I assume it's to be proactive. If this pass the legislature can't vote for a change of the constitution as to ban hunting and fishing in TN. If it doesn't pass it won't change anything, but it leaves the constitution open for future legislature changes with respect to banning hunting and fishing. It's a move to preempt several anti hunting and fishing organizations and the possibility that the right will be taken away in the future.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:10 PM

Todd-

I not specifically familiar with the proposed TN amendment, but the NRA-ILA did have a brief article on it prior to the election.

Hunting & Fishing is controlled by the individual states, and the ISSUANCE of a license is considered a priviledge in most states. And the state could potentially refuse to issue a license for a valid reason, though I doubt that they would do that, unless you were mentally incompetent or such thing.

Its my understanding that this amendment is to protect hunters & fisherpersons from harrassment, verbal abuse, and even violence directed at them from some extreme eco- groups such as PETA, Greenspeace etc. Laws can be changed, but a state constitutional amendment is a lot more difficult to change or remove once its on the books. It would be easier to prosecute a protestor in state court, than a local court, and would probably carry a stiffer jail sentence.

For example, KY F&W is self funded by license fees, and federal fees from the Robertson-Pittman act, no operating funds come from the General Fund. Any threat to these fees would put the KYF&W in jeopardy of managing the wildlife resources. Protestors could discourage and disrupt the lawfull use of these resources, and thus the income to the F&W.

Bill
Old 11-02-2010, 06:35 PM

I just voted tonight, no it's not about harassment, abuse etc. It is to stop the legislature from changing the constitution as I said in my previous post. Right now it's not a right like you said but this amendment will make it such.

TN has harassment laws on the books already.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:35 PM

Luckily the founding fathers had the foresight to put things like the 2nd ammendment in our constitution. I am sure at that time they could have very easily said "we don't need that everyone has a gun and no one is threatening to take them away so putting that in there won't change anything"... A little foresight is sometimes a wonderful thing. I think protecting hunting and fishing in the state constitution for our Grandchildren is a good thing.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...

Last edited by Crockett; 11-02-2010 at 09:54 PM..
Old 11-03-2010, 07:39 AM

Tennessee already has an anit-harrassment law on the books. This prevents the animal rights people from deliberately interrupting or disturbing your hunt. In the past, the animal rights people would walk through the woods during deer season with bells, whistles, and horns to scare the wildlife. They have been known to poison dog food, hoping your hunting dogs would eat it. The amendment is to keep them from banning hunting and fishing completely. You might check out businesses that you deal with and see what organizations they support with the money you spend with them. I started to go into a health food store to get some brewer's yeast to make some flea-resistant doggie treats. I saw a bunch of stickers in the window by the front door. One was for the Humane Society of the USA, a blatant anti-hunting group. I turned around and went elsewhere. A couple of years ago, the NRA had a listing of a bunch of companies that supported the anti groups.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:30 AM

The Tennessee amendment passed by a HUGE majority (90%)
http://www.ballotpedia.org/wiki/inde...ent_%282010%29

Arkansas approved a similar amendment by and (85%) majority.
http://www.ballotpedia.org/wiki/inde...e_1_%282010%29

South Carolina passed one by an 89% majority

However, An Arizona amendment failed in this regard by a 56% majority

These three states will join 14 others that have already passed similar amendments:

http://www.tnwfconservation.org/comp...sh-protections
Old 11-03-2010, 10:02 AM

Cool! Glad those amendments passed! A great day for hunting & fishing. Sorry about Arizona!

Bill
Old 11-03-2010, 10:13 AM

I thought the amendment was poorly worded and unnecessarily places restrictions on our rights by specifically defining on our rights. Especially when it pertains to wading.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfish View Post
I thought the amendment was poorly worded and unnecessarily places restrictions on our rights by specifically defining on our rights. Especially when it pertains to wading.
The exact wording:
"The citizens of this state shall have the personal right to hunt and fish, subject to reasonable regulations and restrictions prescribed by law. The recognition of this right does not abrogate any private or public property rights, nor does it limit the state's power to regulate commercial activity. Traditional manners and means may be used to take non-threatened species."

Please explain what you mean, because I don't see where you are are getting restrictions being placed on our rights out of that? By specifically saying that it doesn't supersede private/public property rights?