Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-03-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFred View Post
Putting their other incentives aside, I wonder what, if anything, about the Park fish themselves would cause bait fisherman to take a chance on getting caught? Is the goal to catch wild trout?? For the taste??

JF
JF,
I honestly don't think either of those is the answer to your question. I think the answer lies in the same reason I see Budweiser cans on the banks of streams, soiled diapers on the trails, rude drivers on the roads, and other issues. Our society is becoming increasingly narcissistic.

When the ONLY person you care about is yourself, and you stop caring about others things like this happen with ever greater frequency. A lot of people just flat don't care and think the rules should only apply to the other guy. The "I'm going to do whatever I darn well please and you're not going to stop me" is the problem.

It's not regulations because they are made to be broken. It's not bait fishermen per-se, it's the I don't give a hoot about those darn rules attitude that's the problem.

Unfortunately, more rules will not stop it. Stricter enforcement of the rules may reduce it but given the current economic status, we all know that isn't going to happen either.

Unfortunately, the same mentality that breeds the "I don't care about your stinking rules" is the same mentality that will stand there and fight with you when you point it out to them.

Not in the Smokys, but in other areas, I've been cussed at, threatened, mocked, and ignored when I've pointed out to people what they are doing is against the regulations on a particular body of water.

One acquaintance of mine called the fish and game department about some people keeping over their limit of fish. The poachers saw him on the cell phone and left. When he got done fishing and went back to his truck to go home, all 4 tires had been slashed. And, the game wardens never did show up. When the police came, they asked him if he actually saw the people doing it. His answer was "no" and the sheriff deputy said there was nothing he could do other than fill out a report that may help with his insurance comapny.

I'm not saying we should ignore it and fail to report it or say something about it. I am saying it will not be appreciated and be prepared for what may happen next.

again, just my .02 worth.

Jeff
Old 11-03-2010, 03:10 PM

Default Open it to bait fishermen

I would like to see the park opened to bait fishermen. The past couple years, I've caught bigger and better fish than I have in the past. And I really don't think it is because I'm just that much better of a fisherman than I was then. I do believe that it is because of the drought and a percentage of fish have been removed from the system. Just think if we didn't have to wait for major environmental changes to improve our fisheries. The bait fishermen could do it for us.

It would also increase oportunities for youth fishing. Lets face it, kids get bored. I've never taken a kid fishing in the park, but I can't imagine their success being much more than 1 fish an hour. If they could hook on a cricket or worm, and catch 1 fish every 10 minutes, they have a much better chance of staying with the sport and maybe even growing up to be fly fishermen. Our youth are our future and we really need to see that more of them are brought up hunting and fishing.

As for the trash issue, it's just something we would have to deal with. I see trash all over the park. I don't let it get to me, I pick it up and throw it away. The only time it ever bothered me was when someone threw out a 6 pack of Miller Lites right behind my Jeep when I was parked along Little River Road, and they were all empties. They should have at least had the decency to leave 1 full.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:04 PM

The Sinks on the Little River acts as a barrier to bass swimming upstream. Do you suppose the same would apply to non-native aquatic organisms being accidentally introduced from bait fishing downstream? Of course, there are no such barriers down low on the Middle & West Prongs, so this could well be a moot question.

JF
Old 11-04-2010, 08:24 AM

Buzzmcmanus, I respect your opinion but may I disagree with you? I'm sure that the present regulations were put in place for a specific reason, some of which I mentioned previously. I have two grandsons, ages 4 and 7. I took them to a pond loaded with bluegill for non-stop action. My son takes his little boy to a similar pond (got hold of a big catfish there). I wouldn't recommend taking a beginner fishing in the park or any trout stream where they might fish all day and maybe not catch anything. I live close to some small streams in SE Tennessee where I am considering taking the boys next spring. I have a 2 wt. they can use. In addition, I'm going to have them look for deer tracks, birds, squirrel, etc. to let them see what nature offers in the way of entertainment.
First, I'm going to fish the streams to see what activity is available. Someone has to do it!
Old 11-04-2010, 08:58 AM

They should just allow gill nets.
If 1 fish survived, think of the food base that would be left available for it.
Plus, it would be easier for someone to catch Lynn's "old sam".

Wondering if anyone remember's the episode where Howard catches old sam....
Old 11-04-2010, 09:29 AM

While fishing at Tremont a couple of years ago I saw some orange goldfish
someone had dumped into the river. Releasing unwanted pets in the park
is not a good idea.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivergal View Post
While fishing at Tremont a couple of years ago I saw some orange goldfish
someone had dumped into the river. Releasing unwanted pets in the park
is not a good idea.
This could potentially be far more destructive than any bait fishing regulation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
may I disagree with you?
Nope, noone is allowed to disagree with me........................Just kidding. Civil disagreement makes for good discussions.

"I wouldn't recommend taking a beginner fishing in the park or any trout stream where they might fish all day and maybe not catch anything". - Under the current regulations, I agree. But, if you could float a worm, or cricket (I'm assuming crickets catch trout) through the same runs, I guarantee you, it would be more exciting for them than it is now.

"I'm sure that the present regulations were put in place for a specific reason". - I'm pretty sure, these regulations were put into place 30+ years ago. People kept more fish then. Maybe it's time the Park Service re-considered some of their regulations. Fewer and fewer people are getting out of their cars, the park service needs to focus less on creating better roadways and put a little more emphasis on showing what else the park offers. If nothing else, maybe open a few streams to bait fishing and study the effects a few years down the road. It wouldn't have to be an all or nothing sort of deal.

The majority of bait fishermen would be congregated in certain areas, picnic areas, the sinks, the Y, etc. These are areas that most fishermen avoid anyways. There would be a few "hardcore" fishermen that would travel into the backcountry, but they would be the exception instead of the rule.

* Disclaimer - I do raise mealworms, however they are not sold, I use them to feed the wrens in the winter. I would hate if someone found out about this and thought I was wanting to open the park to bait fishing for my own financial reasons.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:01 AM

I have been fishing under these "regs" as they exist today for 50 years...prior to that I do not know how long they were in existence...used to be able to bait fish in Gburg when I was a teenager and caught those trout on dough balls....don't want to see bait allowed in the park...ever...God only knows what alien bait people would dump into the rivers...there never has been a problem with people catching fish in the park...if you want bigger fish take some out to eat....when I first started fishing just about everyone that fished in the park kept what they caught to eat....the fish were bigger then and just as plentiful...except for the occasional 12"+ trout I am lucky enough to catch which I return to the gene pool...I eat what I catch on the few occasions that I get to fish....one summer the park tried to fish out treemont and required all trout but brookies be taken out no matter the size...the next year was the best fishing on that water that I can remember....fish were plentiful and on average were 1-2 inches larger than the year before....the bait fishermen who did walk back to Fish Camp Prong targeted the big bows that used to live in the large plunge pools and caught them all...while I never was able to fool one of those big fish it was always fun to spot them and to think that one day...but not to happen....so NO BAIT
Old 11-04-2010, 11:57 AM

Rog 1--My experience under the "no bait" regs reaches back an even greater distance (62 of my 68 years) than yours, and like you I think allowing bait would be a travesty. I won't go into all the reasons why, but I will say that a skilled bait fisherman can flat out wipe out a stream's population, and if that door was opened I greatly fear that the mentality of some bait fishermen would be--"I've gotten an inch so I'll take a mile and keep everything I catch." That happens a bit now, but it is mostly in distant headwaters where the flour sacks full of trout are taken.
I'm adamantly against allowing bait. Folks who want to use it have plenty of opportunities in state waters in N. C. and Tennessee.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 11-04-2010, 02:25 PM

Jim...you only have 5 years on me...I didn't start trout fishing until I was 13...first trout was a 7" rainbow from Porter's Creek on a Ginger Quill...while the mentality to take all you can is not cornered by only bait fishermen, I think that to open up the Park's streams to this practice would be too much temptation for those that do...my grandfather used to tell me stories of the locals using "stick bait" to enhance their wet flies to increase their odds....he also told me of a ranger..Cantrell..that could tell when this was being done and would watch the perpetrators through field glasses until he could write them up...