Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-04-2010, 04:55 PM

Default Stock Hesse Creek??

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzmcmanus View Post
... kids get bored. I've never taken a kid fishing in the park, but I can't imagine their success being much more than 1 fish an hour.
Our youth are our future and we really need to see that more of them are brought up hunting and fishing.
buzz, I'm with you on getting the youth interested. My 3-year old, granddaughter caught her first fish all by herself recently. Her dad was there for support. There is a short window of opportunity in mobile digital era. Many youngsters will only get to experience fishing using an "app."

The very lightly fished Hesse Creek drainage empties into the Little River outside the park downstream of Townsend. Only small stretches of this remote watershed streams holds wild trout.

For the sake of discussion let’s say the National Park Service and the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency were to enter into an agreement whereby TWRA would stock the Hesse Creek drainage up into the park.

What regulations could be put in place whereby younger, typically impatient anglers could experience catching a trout in the Smoky Mountains? (I personally think bait fishing should be prohibited there as elsewhere).

What access improvements could be made with minimal effect on the environment? (Park-sanctioned Jeep shuttles for example)

What access restrictions should be considered? (Special permit issued by shuttle operator perhaps?)

(I'm a little uneasy with this post since I've yet to get to fish the area, but I know Crockett once landed a 3 inch black dace there once. )

JF

New Thread started 11/5 under "Fisheries Management & Biology."

Last edited by JoeFred; 11-05-2010 at 12:28 PM..
Old 11-04-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFred View Post
The very lightly fished Hesse Creek drainage empties into the Little River outside the park downstream of Townsend. Only small stretches of this remote watershed streams holds wild trout.

For the sake of discussion let’s say the National Park Service and the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency were to enter into an agreement whereby TWRA would stock the Hesse Creek drainage up into the park.
Isn't it at least partially stocked by blackberry farms? Maybe some of those will escape upstream and do some populating.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:12 PM

Rog 1--Great anecdote about Bud Cantrell. I know him personally and one of his sons is a writer while another has done a little book on The Fishes of Cherokee Country. He was famed for his efforts in dealing with poachers and lawbreakers and didn't mind getting into the backcountry to do so. I ran into him, one of his sons, and some grandchildren on Noland Creek a couple of years back. He's a great guy and was the successor the Bill Rolen, the ranger with whose son I spent so many wonderful days as a boy.

As for stick bait or rock bait tipping hooks, another old-time fly/bait trick was to tip a fly with a trout eye. Good to know there are some folks around who have loved the Park for so many years as I have (Hugh Hartsell is in their ranks).

Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 11-04-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDuncan View Post
Isn't it at least partially stocked by blackberry farms? Maybe some of those will escape upstream and do some populating.
Looks doable... except for the poor guys that ended up pecan-crusted with pickled fresh water prawns and grits for company.

JF
Old 11-05-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Casada View Post
...federal law now allows properly licensed individuals to carry a weapon in national parks. Those holding such licenses have gone through intensive training, and that training includes detailed coverage of thretening situtions.
Not to argue the validity of one side of the debate or the other, but for those discussing the issue I felt the facts should be known. Here is the link outlining the requirements for a PA concealed weapon/carry permit issued in my county/state:

http://dsf.chesco.org/sheriff/cwp/view.asp?a=3&q=609185

In this county/state there is no extensive training required for a concealed weapon/carry permit; there is no training requirement at all. PA will issue a concealed weapon/carry permit to anyone capable of properly completing the full application, having 2 friends willing to provide a positive character reference, possessing a PA drivers license or identification card, and having the financial means to pay a $25 application fee.

What Jim has stated regarding extensive training being required for a concealed weapon/carry permit may be true for TN but it is definitely not true for many states.

Furthermore, Tennessee has signed a reciprocity agreement with many other states which allow permit holders in the reciprocal states to carry concealed weapons in TN. The list of reciprocal states may be found here:

http://www.tennessee.gov/safety/handgun/reciprocity.htm

If you review the list you will see that PA has signed the concealed weapon carry reciprocity agreement with TN. Due to this agreement a PA concealed weapon/carry permit is valid for concealed weapon carry in TN. This means that a PA concealed weapon/carry permit holder who has received absolutely zero training (the norm), much less any intensive training, or any training regarding threatening situations is now "properly licensed" with respect to concealed weapon carry in GSMNP.

I am not in any way stating an opinion as to whether lack of training is a good thing, a bad thing, or a horrible thing. I am merely stating that Jim's statement regarding everyone having undergone extensive training in order to carry a concealed weapon in GSMNP is not entirely accurate.

No offense to Jim as I very much believe he was not aware of these facts and that Jim relied on TN's rules as the basis for his statement.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Casada View Post
Rog 1--Great anecdote about Bud Cantrell. I know him personally and one of his sons is a writer while another has done a little book on The Fishes of Cherokee Country. He was famed for his efforts in dealing with poachers and lawbreakers and didn't mind getting into the backcountry to do so. I ran into him, one of his sons, and some grandchildren on Noland Creek a couple of years back. He's a great guy and was the successor the Bill Rolen, the ranger with whose son I spent so many wonderful days as a boy.

As for stick bait or rock bait tipping hooks, another old-time fly/bait trick was to tip a fly with a trout eye. Good to know there are some folks around who have loved the Park for so many years as I have (Hugh Hartsell is in their ranks).

Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Jim...another brief story about Mr. Cantrell...my uncle and grandfather recounted a story about one pair of poachers pinched by Bud coming out of Fish Camp Prong with 112 trout...of those only 10 were over the limit...wonder how many of the newer generation of fishermen in the Park know what "stick bait" is..as always I enjoy your comments to my posts
Old 11-07-2010, 03:16 PM

they may allow treble hook rooster tails one day, but never bait. Everyone would leave their green giant corn can on the ground. and the blue nightcrawler cup, just take a look at the river through townsend. I actually spoke with steve and matt (head park fish honchos) several times on the treble hook subject, and they said the populations would not be affected at all, fishermen kill roughly 15% of the fish up there every year, mother nature kills 70-80% each year. Only thing is there is not an interest group of treble hook rooster tail fishermen that pump money into the park, yet there is TU. Therefore, regs will stay the same for a long time most likely