Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fisheries Management & Biology

Old 11-05-2010, 12:19 PM

Lightbulb How about stocking Hesse Creek... for the kids?

The very lightly fished Hesse Creek drainage empties into the Little River well outside the GSMN Park downstream of Townsend. Only small stretches of the remote watershed streams hold wild trout. Just for the sake of discussion... let’s say the National Park Service would consider stocking the Hesse Creek drainage in the Park.
What regulations could be put in place whereby young, typically impatient anglers could actually experience catching a trout? in the Smoky Mountains? where bears live ? (Obviously bait fishing should be prohibited as elsewhere).

What access improvements could be made with minimal effect on the environment? (Park-sanctioned Jeep shuttles for example?)

What access restrictions should be considered? (Special permit issued by shuttle operator perhaps?)
JF

Last edited by JoeFred; 11-05-2010 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: Deleted map
Old 11-05-2010, 03:18 PM

I once walked 20 miles (there and back from abrams creek ranger station) to fish several hours and catch one small 3 inch black dace. The water looked great and very trouty but no luck. Fished all around cs 3. I wouldn't have any problem with them stocking the lower section there in walland up a ways but the access there at that bridge doesn't look to good. Obviously they will never stock fish in the park again so you aren't referring to that area right Fred?

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 11-05-2010, 06:02 PM

Adam, are you saying something was agreed to that by law fish can never be stocked in the park, even in an area totally isolated from other park streams, or is it more of a fisheries management mandate?

Yeah, I know access would be a huge obstacle and I doubt a new road/bridges would ever be agreed to... even for this type of cause.

JF

Last edited by JoeFred; 11-05-2010 at 06:25 PM..
Old 11-05-2010, 07:14 PM

No Fred I meant that I don't think they would stock non-native species like rainbow trout in the park again. However there is no law against it that I know of. They might bring in some specks but Hesse probably can't support them. I just don't think they would ever stock a non-native in the park again. I could be wrong though they brought in the beetles for the hemlock adelgid.

Also the only part that they could really stock is down toward the little river. If they stocked Hesse Creek inside the park it would be innaccessible to kids anyway since it is such a long hike back in there and fairly remote.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 11-05-2010, 07:24 PM

I'm no expert on these things, but Adam is hinting at the right direction here, I would also add that one of the mandates for the Park Service is to protect and enhance "native" species. Therefore, the only option would be Char. As for the beetle, it's brought in to prevent a native from going extinct.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:19 PM

Thumbs down

I don't think TWRA would look to happily on illegal stocking.

70-2-212. Stocking of wildlife — Inspections — Charges. —

(a) Stocking of wildlife is declared to be a prerogative of the state. All persons desiring to stock wildlife shall first obtain a permit from the executive director....
Old 11-05-2010, 08:23 PM

Thanks, Adam & Hans. Good info.

Having worked in Kingsport many years, I got spoiled by living within reasonable driving and hiking access to some beautiful wild and stocked trout streams in the Greene, Unicoi & Carter county areas of the CNF. I didn't discover fly fishing until my children were adults. My grandchildren are getting old enough to perhaps take to the sport, but they live to the west of the Smokies. Tellico and Citico are not really the answer. The Blackberry Farm type fishing is a bit too pricey for me. I guess that leaves the Crosseyed Cricket and other trout farms, but I don't think they much cater to fly fishermen.

My son and his boys and I are going to the WNC Flyfishing Expo tomorrow. From that I hope they really get the itch to try the sport. Given all the other things out there trying to woo our young people, that would be a good problem to have.

JF
Old 11-05-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfish View Post
I don't think TWRA would look to happily on illegal stocking.

70-2-212. Stocking of wildlife — Inspections — Charges. —

(a) Stocking of wildlife is declared to be a prerogative of the state. All persons desiring to stock wildlife shall first obtain a permit from the executive director....
Nor would I. Sorry if that impression was given.

JF
Old 11-05-2010, 08:37 PM

Joe Fred,

Those counties you mentioned, Carter, Unicoi and Greene sure has some magnificent and truly good trout streams, not to forget Johnson county either! too bad it's a two hour plus drive for me.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:44 PM

there is a little creek they stock for kids in the park, maybe its right outside, but its near the twin creeks visitor center. All of the pure brookie waters have a barrier at the low end (waterfall, mill dam, etc) so rainbows cannot repopulate. They stock a couple places just downstream from the park boundary with nothing to stop the stockers from going into the park. There are stockers in the park near gburg, townsend, and greenbriar, probably a few other places