Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 11-02-2010, 06:59 PM

Default North Carolina DH Report

I spent the weekend in Almond, NC fishing the Tuckaseegee, Nantahala, and a small sream I know of. On our first day, we headed to the DH section of the Tuck. At the first spot we fished I was skunked. It was very shallow. My Dad managed to catch 3 on a small wooly bugger. We left and drove upstream. This time my dad was skunked. I manages to catch one nice rainbow. I had finally found a nymph that was producing. We headed upstrem again to another section that had a few deeper runs. Right away I scored a nice 16" rainbow on my 3 wt. What a blast! I kept wading upstream and picked up another fewfish in some runs. I managed a smaller rainbow and a very nice and colorful 14" brown. I did not get a picture because my dad had the camera at the time. My dad was not hitting many fish, so i wen downstream and rigged him up with what I was using. While i was rigging him up I let him use my 3 wt. On his first cast a nice brookie rose to his indicator. My dad managed to snag him in the side. He had such a good time catching that fish with my 3 wt that he ended up walking off with it. Oh well, i got to use his sage. My dad walked further upstream. I decided to cast in the run again and managed to catch a very hefty 16" rainbow. He hit an olive caddis colored czech nymph. Once i finished releasing this fish, i got a hollar from my dad to come up to him because he hooked a nice fish. He happened to forget his net in the car, so i had to net it. After a few minutes I netted the fish. It ended up being another 16" rainbow that had some spunk to it. Really all the fish we hooked had some serious fight. I let him keep fishing the pool he was at and headed upstream. I caught a smaller rainbow and released it quickly. Then i deepened my indicator and fished a ledge that went into some deeper water. After a few drifts i hooked my best fish of the trip. Immediately when i hooked it it ran at me and jumped next to the rock I was standing on. Then it took some drag upstream and hung out there a while. I eventually turned him away from the rocks he was trying to get into. I then netted the "beast". It was a very healthy 17 inch rainbow. I was one happy kid! After this we fished a little while longer and headed back to the airstream.

The next day we got a late start. Iwas messing around the creek that runs by the campground and spotted a very nice lake fontana-run rainbow spawning. I watched for about 20 minutes. It was very cool! I had never seen anything like it before. Once i was sure it was all done with its job, i tied on a beadless pheasant tail i tied up for the wild fish in the creek. I could only have about 3 feet of leader out due to the tight conditions of where he was. I high sticked my nymph and watched him suck it in! I hooked him and he ran down stream. What a great fight! I never imagined i would have a fish take out drag on me in such a small creek. I tiredthe fish out and slid him to the bank by me. I was stoked! It was a honest 15 inches! I did not manage to snap a picture. I released the fish back where i hooked him and woke my dad up. We then headed to the tuck. We got on the water where we had done good the day before. It was about 11:30 at the time and a bit crowded. We still managed to do ok. I didn't catch any big fished but caught 5 in the 2.5 hours we fished. My dad ended up hooking another good fish. I got the call yet again and netted his fish. We took a few photos and slipped the nice rainbow back into the water. We walked back to the car and headed over to the upper nantahala to stop for a little bit on our way home. The fishing was pretty good, but i myself was not on fire. I honestly ended up hooking 9 and landing one. I would have been a heck of a 1.5 hours fishing if i landed them all! Everyone we saw said they were only doing ok with wooly buggers. I honestly have never done great with them and used a nymph rig. I used a big stonefly nymph up top to get the fly down and a BHPT as a dropper. The only fish I caught was a respectable 12" brown that was full of color. I spot fished him in a shallow run and watched him slide over to take my flies. I set the hook and saw he hit the #8 rubberlegged stonefly nymph. After this i worked my way up a little and lostna few more fish on nymphs. Then we left for home.
All in all it was a great weekend of fisihing. I cannot wait to get back up there

Last edited by Rainbow Warrior; 11-02-2010 at 08:03 PM..
Old 11-02-2010, 07:07 PM

It was definately a well-spent weekend! The rivers are fishing great. Get up there!

Last edited by Rainbow Warrior; 11-02-2010 at 08:01 PM..
Old 11-03-2010, 07:51 AM

For reference, most cork grips on a fly rod are 7 inches long; gives us an idea of the length of the fish. Curious......what happened to your index finger? Maneating trout?
Old 11-03-2010, 09:25 AM

Great report. It looks like ya'll did really well.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:34 PM

Looked like a fun trip! Thanks for sharing

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>
Old 11-03-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
For reference, most cork grips on a fly rod are 7 inches long; gives us an idea of the length of the fish. Curious......what happened to your index finger? Maneating trout?
I see what you mean. The rod i was using is a 7" 3 wt, so i am not sure about the cork. As for the finger. That is my Dad and he had scraped it while working on something.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:00 PM

Default Fishing the Tuck and Fontana Feeder

Great post Rainbow Warrior, made me want to get out there! I am looking forward to the lake run fish on Snowbird if not this weekend then certainly by Thanksgiving.
Thanks again for the post!
Best,
John
Old 11-06-2010, 07:49 PM

Rainbow Warrior,

Great looking fish, especially on a 7', 3 weight Imperial, I have the same rod in a 8'6", 4 weight and have been very pleased with it on tailwaters and mountains streams.

Neal