Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 11-10-2010, 11:51 AM

Default Cold Weather Fly Fishing: [Issues/Tips]

I felt it was appropriate to discuss some cold weather issues I have discovered in regards to fly fishing.

1. *Leaders/tippet become more stiff and prone to break if you use knots that do not disperse the tension equally. (Keep the spools concealed and warm in the winter while on the water)
  2. *Leaving the fly rod in a car or in the cold overnight will make the fly line super stiff
  3. *Need to clean and apply vinyl refresh every trip to promote fluid mechanics in your set up.
  4. *Fly rod guides like to freeze up (I put Vaseline on them to thwart this from happening. Tried it with some lip balm once on a trip and it worked great).
  5. *I like to pre-tie tippet to small/delicate flies and place them in sandwich bags or a leader wallet for days that my fingers are not cooperating.
  6. Always have a nice warm towel and spare change of clothes in the car.
**Now, the scientific properties of water in cold conditions are very intriguing and consist of enough to create a whole new discussion. Water temperature from 40 degrees to 33 degrees has a black and white affect on how fish act. Water becomes more dense and then less dense.

Please share your tips and experiences!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 11-10-2010, 03:22 PM

Staying warm:
after suiting up and rigging the rod up, i'm usually cold as **** by then wondering what the **** I'm doing. After i get my waders on, i get back in the truck and turn the heat up and sit for a few minutes heating everything back up, hoping the trapped heat stays a while in my waders and jacket.
Not sure at all that it works any better though, however, the single most important thing when it comes to staying warm for me - Not falling in!
Sometimes i bring my backpacking stove and heat up coffee, cider or some soup for a streamside warm me up. Some of my friends bring liquor to create the illusion of being warmed up.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn hound View Post
Sometimes i bring my backpacking stove and heat up coffee, cider or some soup for a streamside warm me up.
Good idea! I find this very critical and one thing I always neglect. I think maintaining calories and adequate blood sugars help ensure and pleasurable trip. Think I may try this Saturday!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 11-10-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Some of my friends bring liquor to create the illusion of being warmed up.
That is a misconception! Alcohol dilates the blood vessels, making you lose body heat faster. I'm a Hunter Ed instructor in Tennessee and this is a major point in the survival section. The smart thing is to drink warm liquids as mentioned by tn hound. WTG, guy!
Old 11-10-2010, 08:22 PM

Default Handwarmers!

To me the best way to keep my hands warm is to have hand and toe warmers. I like to put the foot sized ones on the soles in my waders to keep my feet nice n' toasty. The only problem I have with these is that they tend to bunch up by my toes. I tried taping them in once with duct tape and it worked pretty well. As for hand, i usually have fingerless gloves that i can slip hand warmers in when needed. This usually helps a ton. I don't know what all you guys do, and i think new suggestions are a great thing!
Old 11-10-2010, 11:21 PM

Went over to Ashville for the WNC convention and picked up a pair of Chota's fingerless mitts. When fishing the mitt and separate thumb cover can be folded back out of the way. They work real well for me.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:48 AM

I use a pair of neoprene scuba diving gloves both with & without the fingers. You can get them is various thicknesses and they do keep my hands warm. I usually use the thinner ones as I can still tie on smaller flies while wearing them. Your skin warms the water layer trapped between your skin and the glove. The good thing is that they also block the wind from your hands even when wet.

Bill