Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Why We Fly Fish

Old 11-11-2010, 11:28 AM

Default Happy Veterans Day

No one is more professional than I. I am a Noncommissioned Officer, a leader of soldiers. As a Noncommissioned Officer, I realize that I am a member of a time honored corps, which is known as "The Backbone of the Army". I am proud of the Corps of Noncommissioned Officers and will at all times conduct myself so as to bring credit upon the Corps, the Military Service and my country regardless of the situation in which I find myself. I will not use my grade or position to attain pleasure, profit, or personal safety. Competence is my watchword. My two basic responsibilities will always be uppermost in my mind -- accomplishment of my mission and the welfare of my soldiers. I will strive to remain technically and tactically proficient. I am aware of my role as a Noncommissioned Officer. I will fulfill my responsibilities inherent in that role. All soldiers are entitled to outstanding leadership; I will provide that leadership. I know my soldiers and I will always place their needs above my own. I will communicate consistently with my soldiers and never leave them uninformed. I will be fair and impartial when recommending both rewards and punishment.
Officers of my unit will have maximum time to accomplish their duties; they will not have to accomplish mine. I will earn their respect and confidence as well as that of my soldiers. I will be loyal to those with whom I serve; seniors, peers, and subordinates alike. I will exercise initiative by taking appropriate action in the absence of orders. I will not compromise my integrity, nor my moral courage. I will not forget, nor will I allow my comrades to forget that we are professionals, Noncommissioned Officers, leaders!
Old 11-11-2010, 11:35 AM

Boy, I remember that! I was a corporal (E-4) when I got out. Happy Veteran's day, to all who have served to protect the freedoms we should hold dear!
Old 11-11-2010, 01:16 PM

The day brings to mind Project Healing Waters .

"Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing, Inc. is dedicated to the physical and emotional rehabilitation of disabled active military service personnel and veterans through fly fishing and fly tying education and outings."

Thank you to all who have served.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:44 PM

Thumbs up

BRF -- brings back a lot of memories from the Viet-Nam era. I was a lowly E-4 but am proud to have served my country in what I believe was a significant endeavor. My hat is off to all of us vets!

Phil
Old 11-11-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnapp View Post
BRF -- brings back a lot of memories from the Viet-Nam era. I was a lowly E-4 but am proud to have served my country in what I believe was a significant endeavor. My hat is off to all of us vets!

Phil

Ah, I never made it past E5, so no worries. Besides, E1 or E12, you served and in Vietnam and that's all that counts.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:27 PM

BRF -- not in the Nam, just during the Nam era in a remote site in Eastern Turkey. Not hostile there, just removed from civilization!!
Old 11-11-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnapp View Post
BRF -- not in the Nam, just during the Nam era in a remote site in Eastern Turkey. Not hostile there, just removed from civilization!!

Close enough!
Old 11-12-2010, 11:19 AM

Doesn't it speak volumes that there were 4 of us total to post here?
Special thanks to you 'nam guys, I have a load of respect!! My Dad did 2 in '68 with 1st Calv. Div. and Screamin' Eagles. I've never asked him much and he's never volunteered much info but I understand. Anybody that's taken fire understands, I'll be there if he ever does feel like talking.

USMC '91-'94
Old 11-13-2010, 12:41 AM

Bran, no doubt. I had it pretty easy as far as combat goes so I don't have as heavy of a heart about it. I do understand enough to know why older vets don't want to talk about it though...they've just been through too much. Thanks for your service and for posting.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:10 PM

Thumbs up

Bran and BRF --- thanks for your service ... I appreciate it! I guess it's difficult for "normal" people to appreciate serving in the military ... especially during the Vietnam era ... stigma associated with it.

Phil