Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fisheries Management & Biology

Old 11-07-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhaircaddis View Post
there is a little creek they stock for kids in the park, maybe its right outside, but its near the twin creeks visitor center. All of the pure brookie waters have a barrier at the low end (waterfall, mill dam, etc) so rainbows cannot repopulate. They stock a couple places just downstream from the park boundary with nothing to stop the stockers from going into the park. There are stockers in the park near gburg, townsend, and greenbriar, probably a few other places
Hey elkhair I haven't hear of the park stocking a little creek would like to know more about that. Do they put rainbows in there? The creek that runs by twin creeks is Leconte Creek right?

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 11-08-2010, 04:19 AM

I think DH water would fit what you were looking for perfectly. Didn't a rather large rainbow come out of Hesse a few years ago, supposedly?
Old 11-09-2010, 04:49 PM

elkhaircaddis-The Park does not do any stocking and has notfor many years. They do transplant specks. Any hatchery fish in the Park, and there are lots of them, made their way upstream from state waters in N. C. or TN or from the Cherokee reservation. Many years ago (40+ I think) there were one or two streams in the Park which had sections set aside for youngsters under the age of 16.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdors.com
Old 11-10-2010, 05:28 PM

That's interesting, Jim. I wonder if such could become the case again. I am thinking in particular about the section of the Middle Prong of the Little Pigeon (Greenbrier) downstream of the ranger station an area, as you know, not particularly attractive to more experienced anglers. I would think a 12 year old would be delighted to share in biology class about catching a trout in the Smokies with an aquatic insect imitation... regardless if it's a Pittman Center homer.

JF

Last edited by JoeFred; 11-10-2010 at 07:58 PM..
Old 11-10-2010, 06:52 PM

I hate to be negative on this, but stocking by the parks service of non natives probably will not happen. They are following a more strict park mission nowadays. As I have previously stated it's main mission is to interfere as little as practical. You will be surprised to hear about all the people I have encountered over the years not understanding this mission. They ask me when will they stock next? Where can I find lodging in the park? I usually tell them, camping or call a year in advance to the lodge! Lol. A lot of visitors to the park think it's just that. A park. They don't understand that it is unmanaged wilderness with some recreational activities allowed.

I'm not necessarily in agreement with park service about all the polices, but stocking of fish, besides brookies and the other natives won't happen in our lifetime.

Last edited by tennswede; 11-10-2010 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 11-10-2010, 07:57 PM

Hans, I'm over the idea of stocking. I agree with the reasoning. I'm just referring to areas in which TWRA's fish might come into play. Was constructing boundary barriers ever done or considered?

JF

I 'bout forgot to ask. Where is the signup sheet for the lodge.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:43 PM

After rereading your post I realized that I misunderstood you. My apologies. Well, I have caught one stocker bow, right upstream of the bridge about 400 yards inside the park boundary. It was in October of 2009. So, without being stocked but receiving spill over fish it's a good place to take a kid fishing. Check the stocking schedule for that area. I know they stock in the spring as well as in the fall.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennswede View Post
Joe Fred,

Those counties you mentioned, Carter, Unicoi and Greene sure has some magnificent and truly good trout streams, not to forget Johnson county either! too bad it's a two hour plus drive for me.
You're so right, Hans. Can't leave out JC. I actually caught my first trout with a fly rod in Beaverdam Creek about 20 years ago. My wife got to experience my celebrating like a kid.

JF
Old 11-13-2010, 02:20 PM

Ah, Beaverdam. This coming spring I'm going to hit it right. I have been trying to fish the Green Drake hatch on that river for two consecutive springs. Both times, it was muddy and high from storms. It is very prone to flash flooding and gets muddy easily. I assume from the agriculture runoff in Shady Valley.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:19 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFred View Post
The very lightly fished Hesse Creek drainage empties into the Little River well outside the GSMN Park downstream of Townsend. Only small stretches of the remote watershed streams hold wild trout. Just for the sake of discussion... let’s say the National Park Service would consider stocking the Hesse Creek drainage in the Park.
What regulations could be put in place whereby young, typically impatient anglers could actually experience catching a trout? in the Smoky Mountains? where bears live ? (Obviously bait fishing should be prohibited as elsewhere).

What access improvements could be made with minimal effect on the environment? (Park-sanctioned Jeep shuttles for example?)

What access restrictions should be considered? (Special permit issued by shuttle operator perhaps?)
JF
I haven't walked the entire section of this stream because of the most serious no tresspassing signs of Blackberry (only park section & below Blackberry). Jo if you got the money - from what I here it's already one of the best stocked streams near the Smokies. I just cant afford to pay high dollar for big stockers although I'm sure it's fun. I bought the Cherokeee Fly fishing section yearly permit a couple years back and only managed to make it up there once that year so I guess it's not my kind of fishing. If I want the big ones I just make the drive to the SoHo

As for stocking the lower section, it might not do well. Flows get very low, and since the water is far from the Springs at Blackberry water temp would most likely be a factor. Might work as a winter stocking, but stream features don't look all that trouty to me. Have you checked this out in person, or just glancing from a map?