Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fisheries Management & Biology

Old 11-14-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
...As for stocking the lower section, it might not do well. Flows get very low, and since the water is far from the Springs at Blackberry water temp would most likely be a factor. Might work as a winter stocking, but stream features don't look all that trouty to me. Have you checked this out in person, or just glancing from a map?...
Thanks, duckypaddler. I have not gotten to visit the watershed. Just got what I know mostly from Crockett's and your posts. Sounds as though these streams are gonna mostly serve as great sights and sounds for hikers and campers.

JF
Old 11-25-2010, 12:18 AM

the water at blackberry gets dangerously close to 70 during the summer. I could have sworn someone (not the park service itself) stocked that little creek full f monster rainbows (near twin ceeks visitor center) and let the little kiddies clean em out. This was in 2006 when i was working for the park service, im not sure though, maybe i made the whole thing up. I wanna say i even saw the kids out there slingin snoopy poles, its amazing what you can forget in four years...
Old 11-25-2010, 06:40 PM

That is Mynatt Park, just outside the NP in Gatlinburg, and is a children's only section. It is stocked with average stockers until Dec. 1 when DH starts in Gatlinburg then some larger ones go in.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennswede View Post
Ah, Beaverdam. This coming spring I'm going to hit it right. I have been trying to fish the Green Drake hatch on that river for two consecutive springs. Both times, it was muddy and high from storms. It is very prone to flash flooding and gets muddy easily. I assume from the agriculture runoff in Shady Valley.

Also one of my favorite trout streams in TN. There are about a half dozen first rate trout streams within a 45 minute drive of Beaverdam as well. Given the choice, I always travel to the Elizabethtown, Butler, Mountain City area to trout fish over the National Park any day.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:59 PM

Correct, there are a couple of gems up there, and especially one stream in particular which have become one of my favorites.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:01 AM

Fred are you still out there? How's things in Russellville this winter?

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 12-17-2010, 10:45 AM

Adam, it's slicker than otter snot.

Are you by chance doing Porters Creek Trail again this weekend?

JF
Old 12-17-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFred View Post
Adam, it's slicker than otter snot.

Are you by chance doing Porters Creek Trail again this weekend?

JF
Hey Fred I am glad you are still around! Yeah it is slick but this mornings 35 felt like a balmy summer after what we had earlier this week. I barely needed a coat today lol.

Not going up Porters Creek Trail this weekend but will be heading to Rogersville next week then Russellville for Christmas with the families should be a lot of fun. I took Jack to the Santa Land thing at exit 407 (at smokies stadium) and he sat on Santa's lap told him he wanted a gun ha. Afterward he asked me if that guy really was Santa cause he thought Santa had a deep voice and that guy had a high voice like a girl. Pretty astute for a 5 year old. I told him 'oh he must be one of the elves then'.

Love your new map profile pic with Rocky Top very clever!

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 12-17-2010, 11:55 PM

I'd say Jack is astute. Children are pretty amazing and refreshingly honest.

We're going to get to be with family in Rogersville as well. I mention it in today's blog.

Merry Chistmas and a Happy New Year to you and others who come by this way.

JF
Old 12-27-2010, 05:26 AM

I'm a little late on this but, I'll throw out what little knowledge that I do know about Hesse's Creek. I'm pretty sure there is a "low head" dam on Hesse's creek. Might be wrong tho. Black Berry Farms would rather you not even drive by and look at their place but, that's another story all together. They however DO stock HUGE bows in the creek and TU had a show on fishing there. I know a guy whose family owns land just below there and he bait fishes the creek and catches some giant trout. I have caught large bows at the mouth of Hesse's creek and Little River after there is a large rain. If you want a shorter way into Hesse's creek go to Top "O" World and go down Gold Mine trail until you hit Cooper Rd Trail. You can either go down it or hop onto Bearded Cane Trail and get there that way. You will go past an OLD truck and then you enter private property. You can either climb the ridges up and over until you hit the trail again in the park or cross the (very pretty) log bridge and take your chances. I doubt that I would make the trip for it but, I would assume that from fall to spring one could catch (Black Berrys stocked) trout in the park on Hesse's creek. Just a thought.

As far as a stocked creek for kids. The Little River in Townsend is stocked about all winter I believe. I can remember going to the the old one lane bridge and catching one trout after another on a silver cleo. The new two lane bridge sets ontop of that hole now.